vacuum pump

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have a spare here from an 87 E350 with a 6.9, still works but the diaphram case is dented fron the engine removal-cuss ....Should work for a short time in a pinch if I needed it. How close to the diaphram is the metal case? I also have 2 PSD pumps here but they are serpentine and mine has v-belts.:rolleyes:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see i need to test my warning thingy cause I'm not sure it works and the controls for the vent are stuck on defrost!-cuss

Typical symptom of a bad vacuum-heater-control-selector-switch.

Almost every make of car/truck known to man will stay on defrost when this switch goes bad, usually from excessive electric fan-motor switch over-heating and melting the vacuum-switch housing.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the first gauges I installed was a vacuum gauge, well...actually two, one for truck vacuum and another for trailer-brake vacuum.

Without a dash-mounted vacuum-gauge, supplemented by a hand-held gauge, diagnosis becomes an expensive guessing game.

As to replacing the actual vacuum-pump, the diaphragm pods are interchangeable universally.

I have a number of them off of Fords, Dodge/Cummins, trailer-brake kits, you name it, and the mounting bolt pattern of the chamber is the same.

On a 1989-1991 Dodge/Cummins, there are TWO vacuum-pump diaphragms, gear-driven off the back side of the timing cover, just ahead of the gear-driven power-steering pump.

The operating rods ride on a CAM on the shaft that drives the power-steering pump.

On the Ford belt-driven units, the CAM is contained within the housing, and is a part of the pulley-shaft.

When the shaft rotates, the CAM works the operating rod in and out, thus pumping the diaphragm.

I hoard up every vacuum-pump I see, sometimes taking two and making one good one, depending on what is ailing them.

I get many good ones that others have condemned and tossed, when they are still good as new.;Sweet

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
well this thread is enough to tell me to ditch the vac pump. i was contimplating hydroboost but i didn't want to have to crack open my brake lines, well i'll bite the bullet and do it now! plus it'll be 1 less belt to turn on the motor! ;Sweet

-Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger