Vacuum pump direction of rotation?

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Is there any internal difference between a V belt vacuum pump and a serpentine belt vacuum pump? The V belt pump rotates clockwise as viewed from in front of the truck, where as the serpentine belt vacuum pump rotates counter-clockwise as viewed from in front of the truck. I'm thinking about changing over to V belts but I want to keep the vacuum pump on top.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
IIRC Mr. Back seat extra parts guy Gary confirmed that they'll function rotating either direction. :D

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once I had the wrong size serp belt and I had to run it over the top of the vac pump. That made it rotate backwards, as the belt is supposed to run underneath the pump...

Hey, don't these pumps have a oil drain hole so we can change and maintain the proper oil level?

If so, you might want to change the oil when you convert to V belts...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The dog actcher is correct. These vacuum pumps suck runing either direction but.. I learned that from midnite rider. How he figured that out is something you need to ask him. And yes, they have a location to add or change the oil thats in them. That too was learned from the rider. Me thinks he has more time to "discover" things like this than I do...

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they will work in either direction. All the pulley spins is a little lobe (looks just like a cam lobe) that pushes on a little button that goes into the big pancake thing.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Yeah they will work in either direction. All the pulley spins is a little lobe (looks just like a cam lobe) that pushes on a little button that goes into the big pancake thing.

So it's just a diaphragm pump. Kinda what I thought, but wasn't sure.

Thanks y'all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin