Vacuum pump death

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
How common is it for vacuum pumps to fail on these trucks and what do you all recommend for replacement? Mine locked up then sheared the housing off....odd I know...

Didn't know if this is a common thing or if there is some sort of maintenance that needs to be performed to prevent this from happening...

Thanks!

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i have not shopped for one yet but i would say to take a look at rock auto. as you know i think my vacumm pump is on the way out.
what truck is it on?

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
It's on my '94 F350, I'm just glad I was so close to home when it sheared in half though! Good call on rock auto, they are 71.50 ...it just stinks that it happend...

I love my trucks, but they are all living up to fix or repair daily hahaha

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
there is a little access bolt under the diaphragm that you can take out to access the lubricant in the lower part of the pump. no good at this point to you but you can change out the lube in the bottom end. the bottom end is only a shaft with two bearings and an eccentric to drive the upper diaphragm. trouble is they seam to usually wear out together.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
It's on my '94 F350, I'm just glad I was so close to home when it sheared in half though! Good call on rock auto, they are 71.50 ...it just stinks that it happend...

I love my trucks, but they are all living up to fix or repair daily hahaha

ya no kidding. LOL
when you get the new vac pump on report back and let me know if the brake pedal is any different.

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
ya no kidding. LOL
when you get the new vac pump on report back and let me know if the brake pedal is any different.

Will do! I could tell it was on the fritz because I could drive the truck 30-45 minutes and it would be fine, then the pedal would start getting progressively harder to press down until the brake light would come on due to a low vacuum condition. As soon as it cooled down, it would be fine.....well it was for about 4 days till this morning when the pump sheared in half:puke:

It sounds to me like yours is probably doing something similar, when your brake light comes on, pop your hood and verify your pulley is spinning.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
It sounds to me like yours is probably doing something similar, when your brake light comes on, pop your hood and verify your pulley is spinning.

Yes i have thought of doing that. although it is not really convienent when doing 55mph, but not haveing power brakes would be a touch more inconvienent. LOL

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
I'm just glad to still have brakes whether power or manual! A pedal that goes to the floor will turn white drawers brown real quick! My 1967 mustang has 4 wheel manual drum brakes and stops just fine, as long as your doing 15mph or less haha

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I'm just glad to still have brakes whether power or manual! A pedal that goes to the floor will turn white drawers brown real quick! My 1967 mustang has 4 wheel manual drum brakes and stops just fine, as long as your doing 15mph or less haha

i am with you on that one.

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try Pensacola diesel, Florida for the vacuum pump.
The last time I checked their website. these vacuum pumps were around $117.00 - that was a year or so back, they might be different now.

For me that $117 is a great price. Up here in BC (Prince George) I paid $325 for the same item a year or so back ( including taxes etc).

I don't know if you can find them cheaper or not - I believe they are Delphi brand.

Hope this helps.

Oh yes, the vacuum pumps last about 8 years or so without changing the lube (I didn't know you could). In my cases, there was no warning each time. The last time it failed I had no brakes yet the vacuum gauge showed around 18 inches - not enough.

When you install, you should be careful not to make the vee belt too tight and load up the bearings. They do run warm if you check after installation - any hotter than that your belt is likely too tight.

mariner

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Check ebay for these vacuum pumps. They have several listed for much less than $100.00....:D

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who's to say that a shiny brand-new one is gonna have any oil in it ??

Best to pull the plug and check, prior to mounting. ;Sweet

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
and on another note do not use a gear puller to get the pulley off! you will ruin it, you need a powersteering pulley puller you can rent at any chain store. these pulleys are thin metal arouind the outside that will just deform if you try to get it off that way. you need to lock onto the little flange near the shaft.

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and on another note do not use a gear puller to get the pulley off! you will ruin it, you need a powersteering pulley puller you can rent at any chain store. these pulleys are thin metal arouind the outside that will just deform if you try to get it off that way. you need to lock onto the little flange near the shaft.

I found that sawing the pulley off the shaft (shaft is of soft steel
and easily cut ) and then pressing / punching the shaft stub out worked very well. Heating the pulley with a hand held propane torch might help - proving it doesnt get too hot.

The above has worked well for me, if done carefully and does not distort pulley sides.

mariner

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online