US Gear Decellerator

pontoonrob

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a us gear exhaust brake unit installed on my truck ( it came with the truck) the red push button has quit working. I called us gear and they said too bad,so sad. the buttons are no longer in stock. I know the battery can be replaced but the push button no longer works also. Anyone have any ideas on how to make the unit inline with my exhaust work with out this button or does any one have an extra button laying around?---Rob

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About all I can add is maybe check on ebay.. One never knows what will pop up on there. Maybe craigslist too.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's so special about the button that it can't be replaced with any momentary switch?
X2...IIRC most exhaust brakes are operated by an "arming" switch, which then activates the valve when a microswitch senses that the accelerator pedal's in the idle position.

AxleTech, the company that bought U.S. Gear, unceremoniously scrapped all of U.S. Gear's product assembly lines and has made it clear that they want nothing to do with the people who have previously bought their products. Granted, I don't think I need to buy anything that they sell, but based on that attitude, I don't think they need any of my business. Unfortunately, that means that anyone who owns a U.S. Gear product (OD unit, exhaust brake, etc) are on their own if/when anything fails -cuss

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
X2...IIRC most exhaust brakes are operated by an "arming" switch, which then activates the valve when a microswitch senses that the accelerator pedal's in the idle position.

AxleTech, the company that bought U.S. Gear, unceremoniously scrapped all of U.S. Gear's product assembly lines and has made it clear that they want nothing to do with the people who have previously bought their products. Granted, I don't think I need to buy anything that they sell, but based on that attitude, I don't think they need any of my business. Unfortunately, that means that anyone who owns a U.S. Gear product (OD unit, exhaust brake, etc) are on their own if/when anything fails -cuss

Thats really a sad way to do business. Kill off what peop-le buy when you take over a company... I'm guessing the products they cut off were not making the bottom line for them..

pontoonrob

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

well ya learn something new every day. I didn't know they were bought out. I have a standing look out on fleabay and cruise craiglist all the time. I am sure some one has a bright idea on what to do.---Rob

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That doesn't change much if you're a diy guy with some basic electrical knowledge.

If it's electronically activated, all you need is a relay and a micro momentary button to mount on your shifter. Or you could do just a arming switch with an idle validation switch.

Find me a PDF of the installation manual with schematics, and we'll get you going. (If such thing exists) We have a few electrical guru's here that I could point you to, but going to need some schematics first.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Hey Rob, I d bet money that circuit is identical to the manual OD solenoid switching circuit that came factory with the laycock OD units on the cars. In other words, Ive most likely got a few of those laying around here. I'ts a basic momentary push button and a standard 30 amp bosch relay I have wiring flow charts I can pull from the manuals to rig something up . Granted its for the GV type stuff but the principal is the same.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That doesn't change much if you're a diy guy with some basic electrical knowledge.

If it's electronically activated, all you need is a relay and a micro momentary button to mount on your shifter. Or you could do just a arming switch with an idle validation switch.

Find me a PDF of the installation manual with schematics, and we'll get you going. (If such thing exists) We have a few electrical guru's here that I could point you to, but going to need some schematics first.
If installation manual or diagrams are not available, just the type of actuator used to move the flapper between open and closed would be helpful as well. For instance, if it's just a solenoid that closes the flapper when energized, and then a spring returns flapper to open when solenoid power is cut, that's identical to our FSS circuits, and all it needs is a switched 12V source. With small amount of additional work it can be made fancier, w/ a latching relay and momentary switch on shifter to engage it and another momentary switch on the pedal (idle validation switch) to drop power to the whole work and disengage the relay and solenoid when you get on the throttle. On the other hand if it's motor that both closes and opens the flapper, that would be the same as our power window circuits, which is easy enough to duplicate as well. And again an idle validation switch can be worked in the circuit for safety purposes.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
i have a complete us gear unit out of the truck with wiring. let me know if i can help with pics

pontoonrob

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If installation manual or diagrams are not available, just the type of actuator used to move the flapper between open and closed would be helpful as well. For instance, if it's just a solenoid that closes the flapper when energized, and then a spring returns flapper to open when solenoid power is cut, that's identical to our FSS circuits, and all it needs is a switched 12V source. With small amount of additional work it can be made fancier, w/ a latching relay and momentary switch on shifter to engage it and another momentary switch on the pedal (idle validation switch) to drop power to the whole work and disengage the relay and solenoid when you get on the throttle. On the other hand if it's motor that both closes and opens the flapper, that would be the same as our power window circuits, which is easy enough to duplicate as well. And again an idle validation switch can be worked in the circuit for safety purposes.
I am trying to find the install manual,but I don't recall any kind of schematics with it. It seems pretty basic operation as you say. I just push the red buttonand the flapper closed. push it again and the flapper would open. I never did use the foot pedal defeat after it wore out many moons ago.There is a red control box that has an on off switch to set operation in ready mode. The wiring under the hood is seems complicated with a whole lot of wires and relays going to the unit in the exhaust and the red box.---Rob

pontoonrob

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a complete us gear unit out of the truck with wiring. let me know if i can help with pics

Well I am sure that would be great if you could get some pics up here. Sounds a whole lot easier than me crawlin'under the truck or trying to show that birds nest of wires under the hood!---Rob

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what this is..... it's a 2nd gen US gear. The red button assembly is a wireless key switch that talk to another box that has the relays. You can probably replace it with a regular control box but it's not as easy as you'd hope. I *may* have the parts to fix that or can at least come up some more info on it.

Alternatively, if you can find another control box, the actual US gear unit is the same.

Don't give up on it, it's a very nice exhaust brake once you get it working.