Urgent - Need help ID'ing ATS Turbo.

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Ive been out of the whole IDI thing for awhile after swapping my DMF for a SMF and getting some severe gear rattle. Since im still in school for 2 more months and cant afford to put any more money into the truck i decided to park it until i get out of school and decide what to do with it. Lately ive really been thinking about swapping in a cummins....but i just found a 7.3 IDI turbo kit for sale localy here the guy is not even 20 minutes away from me and he wants $100!! for the kit. If i can get this turbo on my 7.3 then i might just have to keep it and forget about the cummins.

Now for my question. He tells me this kit is non wastegated so that means it would either be a 085 or 088 kit right? Is there anyway to tell for sure which kit it is? He claims everything is there for the kit except for the intake adapter? im not sure exactly what that part is but is it going to be hard to find one or would i be able to make one?

Either way i dont think im going to be able to pass up this kit for $100. I might just buy it and hope i can make it work.

suv7734

Reaction score
Pm me if you'd like and I'll go look at it with you. I'm just on the other side of Scott road... Surrey. Is it still on the truck or dismantled? Ae you sure its an ATS or maye a Banks? The intake 'hat' can be found or something fabricated quite easily if that's all it needs.

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pm me if you'd like and I'll go look at it with you. I'm just on the other side of Scott road... Surrey. Is it still on the truck or dismantled? Ae you sure its an ATS or maye a Banks? The intake 'hat' can be found or something fabricated quite easily if that's all it needs.

Thanks for the offer but i just got back from looking at the kit. Its a 088 and i bought it off the guy for $100...he was asking $150. Im going to take a pic pretty soon here of what i got and hopefully you guys can give me some ideas of what im going to need to get this thing working.

Like mentioned it didnt come with the intake adapter. im either going to look for something used, if anybody has one they dont need please let me know. but the guy i bought the turbo off of just sold a 1988 bronco he had with a 7.3 turbo diesel in it. when he put the turbo on his 7.3 it didnt have the intake adapter either and he showed me some pictures he had of one he fabbed up using some 5" exhaust pipe and a smaller peice that hooked onto the turbo...it looked fairly simple so i might go that route if i have too.

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I feel like I was ripped off. I payed $200 for mine.

$200 isnt a bad price either. Ive watched a few ATS kits go for around 5-600 on ebay lately and those kits were way more complete than mine.

What did your kit come with for $200?

I know my $100 kit is missing a few pieces. The most obvious right now is the intake hat and the crossover pipe. Im more worried about finding or fabing up a intake hat then the crossover pipe. Ive got alot of experience with the welder so i think ill be able to fab up a crossover pipe fairly easy.

Heres a pic of everything that i got from the kit. Can someone who knows alittle more about these kits give me some insight as to what im going to need and how hard you think its going to be to get this kit working. Thanks
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was kidding when I made the price remark (guess thats what the smilies are for). We both stole our kits;Sweet As a core you could probably get $100 for the turbocharger.

Mine was missing the downpipe and crossover. But it came with working gauges. I took the opportunity to make the down pipe and crossover out of stainless steel. You also seem to have the oil feed line. I had to make mine up which was not such a good idea in hindsight. It cracked on me several times.

Be glad you have the downpipe as that was the harder one to make.

Mile also came with the older rectangular airbox.

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was missing the downpipe and crossover. But it came with working gauges. I took the opportunity to make the down pipe and crossover out of stainless steel. You also seem to have the oil feed line. I had to make mine up which was not such a good idea in hindsight. It cracked on me several times.

Be glad you have the downpipe as that was the harder one to make.

What size did you use for your crossover...was it just the stock exhaust size? You wouldnt happen to have any pictures of your work would you?
I didnt get any gauges but fortunately ive already got some in my truck. I see this kit has the pyro mounted by the turbo. But ive got my pyro in the drivers side manifold. which is the better location to take the temp from?

So that's what it looks like when the up pipe comes off....LOL

Just got mine on, you should be happy with it.

You just put one of these kits on your truck? So your going to be around here to help me with all my questions rightLOL

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
You just put one of these kits on your truck? So your going to be around here to help me with all my questions rightLOL

If you were closer I would come give you a hand. Your's should go ALOT smoother then mine did. Having that up pipe stuck on the exhaust housing makes getting it in or out almost impossiable. I bet having done mine now it would maybe take a day for me to rebuild the turbo, rip off the old stuff & install the new stuff & have it running.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My crossover pipe is roughly stock size.

The pipe for the crossover is 2 1/4" OD. Mine was something like 1/8" wall so it was a major overkill but the only size I could get in a timely manner. I could probably lift the front of the truck by that pipe if I wanted. You will need the size that matches the OEM size to match the exhaust manifold so just copy the pipe size that it already has.

No pictures though. I tend to forget about that when I'm in the middle of building something that. I could try and take some shots of it installed if that would help. Not how well it will turn out.

My collector pipe was installed in the turbo when I got the kit and it was like a single cast piece. All I had to do was show it the flame from the acetylene torch and it fell out. Not even hot enough to burn my hand.

To remove the turbo, I unbolt the crossover on the driver side manifold and unbolt the collector pipe from the passenger side manifold (crossover and collector/"Y"pipe still one piece), then heave on the pipe forward and backwards till it falls out. To actually remove the crossover from the truck, it still has to be unbolted from the collector though. My down pipe is rather loose fit, so that just slides out no problem when I lift the turbocharger off of the engine.

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well ive got a few questions for you guys...

First of all im trying to remove the exhaust housing from the turbo because i want to inspect all the fins and just make sure everything looks alright and make a decision on whether i want to get it rebuilt before i put it to work so i wont have any problems later.

So my question is does the exhaust housing come off of the turbo? I removed the 8 or so bolts holding it on and that 2 peice clamp thing came off...but something is still holding the housing to the turbo????.

Also does anybody have any pictures of the intake hat? Thats one peice im missing and im going to look into fabbing something up. I emailed ATS because the guy i bought the turbo from said he emailed ATS about a month ago and they were going to send him some parts...but i emailed ATS yesterday and i got a email today saying that they cant get any parts for this turbo anymore....so i guess im on my own

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
7.3 Look here in my webshots... http://good-times.webshots.com/album/567583653gUIbTz

I tried to document everything for a reason like this.
Your going to have to tap the turbo out of the exhaust housing. With a hammer & something like a wrench to direct the blows.

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2985045990103447628KcMdUN]
You must be registered for see images
[/URL]

It took me about 20 mins worth of hammering to get it out but I just took my time & it finally worked it's way out.

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2016532040103447628WaBRdT]
You must be registered for see images
[/URL]

If you have any more questions let me know, I can remember what worked & didn't for that matter....:mad: ;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they come apart fairly easy as long as its not too rusty. I wasn't able to inspect my turbine side because 2 bolts were seized and wanted to strip. As it turns out the turbo works well enough so my gamble of leaving it alone payed off in the end.