Upgrade Time

rmckee242

Reaction score
Looking for a little advice on upgrading my 97 F350, 7.3 with five speed ZF with 277,000 miles. Going to have to remove the turbo because of a nagging small oil leak. I've read conflicting things on upgrading or just rebuilding the turbo. Thing is I'm going with Rosewood stage one or possibly two injectors with one of his burned chips. From what I've read I'll get the spool I'm looking for with the additional fuel and the stock Garrett will handle it and the combination will give me more boost but not so much that I have to worry about the heads. I'm not looking for all out horsepower just want good power and something I can show out in when the urge hits. Turbo and injectors are factory so I know I can benefit from freshening them up and while I'm going to that trouble why not get some fun out of it. Any advice appreciated you guys are like the encyclopedia on this stuff.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with stage 1s the stock turbo will be perfectly fine.with stage 2s it wont last too long depending on how much you play with it.max boost it can handle is around 32Psi.with stage 2s depending on how much fuel those rosewoods dump it will be pushing around 36PSI.mine with BDP stage 2s is pushing 38PSI.40 PSI is about the max before popping head gaskets.im on my 4th stock turbo.

if youre going with stage 2s i highly recomend an intercooler.you wont be able to keep your foot in it too long before hitting max EGTs.if you want all the power out of them youll need at minimum a 15* SD hpop or twins and electric fuel system.

i know nothingabout rosewood but if youre lookin for all out power id have a chat with ryan at www.beansdieselperformance.com .

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for a daily driver street truck the d66 isnt needed.the stocker will be fine but if youre gonna be doing alot of towing and racing then it would be a good idea.

rmckee242

Reaction score
Sounds like need to go with stage 1's and stick with the stock turbo. I do some towing and no racing. Just want a daily driver that i can show my ass in when the urge hits and the traffic light changes. Stage 2's sound good but i want to keep this thing dependable as a daily driver and not dump a ton of money into performance that i don't really need.