Unfortunately it happened :(

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One hell of an honest answer that's what I need. And one more question for yall. Is it okay to drive the truck with the bad injectors it's nicking something fierce, should I just park it until I replace the injectors?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How's that for an honest answer. You ain't gonna get that at AutoZone.

" i would like to order a set of injectors for my 94 7.3"
"what year is your truck?"
-blank stare.

i really dont know why you think this is sad,
new injectors, the gen pop here would be having an evil grin on their faces.:sly

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I've never replaced my injectors but we did replace my pump but it was with a used one off my 7.3 now with that in mind I've got like 220,000 miles on my truck and I figure I'll be needing injectors or a motor soon.when ever that comes I wouldn't go wit r&d not because he's a bad guy but I've never talked to him and I've talked to Mel he's been helpful to me and im buyin some turbo up pipes from him soon hopefully.i don't know much about Russ's injectors but I've heard nothin but good about them and Mel's.i guess it really comes down to your set up and what power range you want.just alittle bit more Id go with Mel's smallest pump and bigger injectors.me when I do it I want power lol if you wanted to get crazy justin at r&d has a huge pump but really I would stick with Mel or Russ.there really some of the most helpful people which everyone on the is fourm is. But like everyone else said stick with people that know what there doin not parts store junk or ebay junk it'll save you money down the road(sorry got off topic a bit lol)

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when ever that comes I wouldn't go wit r&d not because he's a bad guy but I've never talked to him
lol....ok.

never talked to him...but hes a bad guy.
nothin wrong with him, dealt with him plenty of times.

Mel is also very helpful.

cant go wrong.

Where you can go wrong is pensacola diesel. I HAVE used them, and their injectors are 100% garbage.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow ok...definitely misread that..sorry!
was just dipping into the coffee at that point.
*backs out slowly*

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just bought all from CDI, great support, baby moose pump, new injectors, and Banks down pipe, and new gp, We had a non running 93 IDI turbo. ( see new introductions) put it all on and started right up after several purges and a few mistakes, unbelievably started without gp working, forgot to hook up wire from ignition, great power a couple of trips around block (2 miles) after 20 min warm up and check out, now 2 rusted brake lines, and try to find some one to time it, we turned pump just off stock mark.
Very happy for some diesel rookies.
RWK

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We just bought all from CDI, great support, baby moose pump, new injectors, and Banks down pipe, and new gp, We had a non running 93 IDI turbo. ( see new introductions) put it all on and started right up after several purges and a few mistakes, unbelievably started without gp working, forgot to hook up wire from ignition, great power a couple of trips around block (2 miles) after 20 min warm up and check out, now 2 rusted brake lines, and try to find some one to time it, we turned pump just off stock mark.
Very happy for some diesel rookies.
RWK

definately find someone to time, you will be alot happier.
there is a timing registry of people that can time your engine.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?70126-TIMING-SERVICE-REGISTRY

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, contacted 1 last week still waiting for a reply, local guy said he can time by ear, rather do it right. may do the loaner timing device, once brake lines repaired can drive more, when driven a few miles before brake line went, had very good power and pickup. Highly suggest OP do glow plugs also, easier to get at with inj. lines off, we had a broken one also, pita.
rwk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having actually worked on all breeds of diesels full time for a living, myself and others have replaced countless injectors and never checked the timing when doing so or preached about replacing the IP at the same time. You can change injectors without affecting the IP and vice versa.

Now that is some poor advice from a guy over on "thedeiselstop". That was his retort to an answer I gave the guy asking if he should replace the IP.

I had said this to the OP.

Yes, the IP should be timed any time the injectors are replaced. The injectors should be pop tested before installation, even new ones before timing. NA engines are timed at 8.5* to 9.5* BTDC, turbo engines are timed at 10.5* to 11.5* BTDC. Timing is at 2000 RPM by the pulse method.

Pop testing, the injectors are set to 1850 to 2000 PSI, the 1850 PSI is nominal for an "old" IP.
As far as changing the IP, only a couple thousand miles after an injector change would dictate that. Your 15-16 MPG is about the average. If you have an increase in MPG or power seems to increase, then I'd say the IP is golden.

New BB or G code injectors are what you should use. So called rebuilt/remaned injectors are a gamble depending where or from whom you get them from

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are alot of OB haters on the TDS..lol
its funny to see them get fired up about it...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace with qjality parts from one of the sugtested locations

As mentioned NOW is also golden time to do glow plugs....what was missed...Ford Beru plugs or IH Beru... do not use dime store Notolights or Crapions ...stick with what Ford installed!

Do time your engine when done too btw....and new fuel filter if itz unkown mileage could be good idea too.

JM2CW

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old Bull, what is your reasoning for timing the turbo engines more advanced than NA?

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Pretty sure the 6.9 engines came factory with champions plugs iirc Don't know about later engines.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are alot of OB haters on the TDS..lol
its funny to see them get fired up about it...
Most of the "older" members on here used to be on TDS...I'd say just about anyone with a join date before 2007 or '08 or so. There was a LOT of bad blood at the time...we saw the TDS admins as treating the IDI group like unwanted stepchildren (we weren't giving the sponsors as much business as the PSD guys were, because the sponsors were all PSD performance shops); they thought that we were traitors when we migrated over here. It's been a solid decade since things really went down; I'm surprised there are anyone at STD who still remember that. On the other hand, I haven't forgotten some of the things that R&D said about members on here and still refuse to give him my business, so I suppose I'm no better than they are :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online