underhood air intake

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For all you guys that are running homemade air intakes and not drawing in fresh air, are you finding a great loss in power on warm or hot days?
I got rid of my bulky banks box during the winter and made a homemade air intake that is just drawing air from the engine compartment and the last few days of warm weather, I'm seeing a great loss in power. In the morning when its cool out, the truck has plenty of power. In the afternoon with the a/c running, this truck wouldnt pull a sick hoe off a **** pot!

I came home today and removed my cone filter and ran a piece of temporary flexible duct from my original air duct to my 3" pipe that goes into my turbo, after taking a drive, I noticed a difference in power. We were 87 degrees today and I'll hate to see this thing when its 110.

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'd really suggest you put your banks box back on. it might be bulky, but it does serve a purpose, as you're seein. i still have the factory plastic tube that goes to the core support, and i notice a difference in power when its hot vs when its cold. i cant imagine the inefficiency of huffin 200 some-odd degree air!

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my donaldson on in place of the banks box about a year now and haven't noticed any difference no matter the temperature. I did notice a big difference when I removed the banks box, the new setup certainly delivers more oxygen to the engine. And when I lift the hood, I can actually see the engine and work on it, instead of seeing a giant "Banks" casting all over the top of my engine.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too noticed a big increase in power when I removed the Banks box, I wont use it again and the filter is shot and I was having bad luck finding a new one.

My new setup sits behind the a/c compressor and probably picks up a lot of heat off the exhaust manifold also. I dont know what else would cause such a dramatic loss in power between cool morning and warm afternoon temps. I even had to turn my fuel down because all I was doing was leaving big clouds of black smoke and not building power fast enough.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I think the first thing to consider is that you ARE running in a much hotter climate in some cases than many of us. 89 degrees in Vegas is not like the 89 degrees we have in the east. You have like NO shade EVER. LOL OK, well maybe I'm exagerating, but I've noticed when I'm out there that the whole vehicle just feels like it came out of an oven. Here, there is usually a breeze, and some shade, so all the metal in the vehicle doesn't reach ambiant sunshine temps. Be that as it may, I've been running my Moose Air setup, and the Night Moose has had no snorkle of any kind, and neither truck has any issues. I did just put a Hypermax cowl induction on the Lady Moose, but I did it at the same time as the intercooler, so I can't say what if any change that made. Heat soak occurs most when idling. This gives all the components in the engine bay time to heat up to 180 degrees or whatever is coming off your engine. After your start driving, EVERYTHING starts to cool down.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which Donaldson?

Look at my pic and please tell me if that's the unit you replaced. If so, which Donaldson did you use? The thing I like least about mine is the crappy oiled cotton gauze filter in the system. I'd rather have a Donadson Power Core in there for sure. Do you have any pics of your setup?

You must be registered for see images attach

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I can say I noticed a big difference when I went from having a K&N air fiter just over the drivers side of the IP to having a cold air intake that I built for it. I have pictures of what I did on this thread.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?55106-Junkyard-cold-air-intake-deflector

So far I am very happy with it.

I too noticed that when pulling if I stopped at a light and the engine bay warmed up I would have much less power when I took off. I pulled my 5th wheel rated at 8600lbs after I did the cold air intake and didn't notice any heat soak at all, although it wasn't hot out so I'll have to see this summer when it's actually hot out I guess.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at my pic and please tell me if that's the unit you replaced. If so, which Donaldson did you use? The thing I like least about mine is the crappy oiled cotton gauze filter in the system. I'd rather have a Donadson Power Core in there for sure. Do you have any pics of your setup?

You must be registered for see images attach

You talkin to me?

This is what I did http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...t-rid-of-my-old-style-Banks-airbox&highlight=

I too was not a fan of an oiled filter in there.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that. I'm thinking about a Donaldson Power Core and was hoping that's what you installed. It'll be a while before I do anything... if I do anything at all. My truck is semi-retired now and only gets a couple of thousand miles a year, so I don't really NEED to do anything. I just wanna. Lot of other projects ahead of it, though. Thanks again!

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping it's just a heat issue and nothing else. I think I'm going to have a sheet metal box fabbed up and insulate it and stick the filter in there.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I think back, when Gary was setting my timing up at Towcats it seems like he was having an issue with numbers jumping around. I read mention in another post that something like that may be caused by a bad or sticky advance mechanism in the pump and thats exactly what it feels like when its hot, like it has no advance.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my filter setup, I could just run a longer pipe out the front of the truck and have the filter out in the air in front of the truck. Can't get much better cold air intake than that. The hood wouldn't close all the way, and obviously I'd only do it on a back road in the country. But that would eliminate or confirm your suspicions quickly and cheaply. I don't know how yours is set up, but could you do the same?

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a little more experimenting this afternoon and discovered the problem is definately hot air. I sat and looked at that engine compartment for half an hour trying to figure out how and where to put a sealed air box for my filter. Not going to be as easy as I thought but I've got some ideas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online