Ugly front end

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if it is possible to put the front end from a 2003-2005 on a 2006 truck?

Do you think the factory would do this on a custom order if asked NICELY? LOL

They sure did ugly up the front end this year... if I hadn't learned my lesson about buying used with my current truck I'd be inclined to buy a used '05... Alas, probably not going to be doing that...

Mike

Turbo Tim 1

Reaction score
They definantely look better in person, every picture I've seen disturbed me but when you see it in person it looks better. As for swapping the front ends, I doubt it but maybe, I had read somewhere that the changes had to do with crash ratings and were required to make bumper height limits and stuff. I doubt the factory would put and older front end on a newer truck. You need to find out if the doors are different part numbers, that would tell you right away if you could do a swap. It would defiantely be expensive.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bolt on application...not in a million years, the door curves are different, the panel height is different, wheel well gap..everything. but with a body shop..lots of time and money, you could get it to work.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks... hadn't looked that closely. I guess I'll just be happy with the new design and will see what's new in 10-15 years for the next truck...

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didn't know they changed till i read this thread (or the other one).. i checked them out the other day and didn't notice much change.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugly front end... ugly dash...

Well, I was hoping the Ugly would end at the front end... but it progresses inside, too... :puke:

Does Dodge deliberately want to screw its sales this year?

What kind of dash is this? The hood of the dash over the instrument cluster doesn't even go all the way to the end of the dash. Great way to block out light from above/side.

I dunno about this '06 any more. I might have to buy used--this year's model looks like something designed by kindergarten students.

The front bumper's gotta go, too. Paint has no business on a one-ton truck's front bumper. Oughta be chrome.

Dunno... I'm becoming less excited about the '06 trucks. Not sure I can make payments for the next x years on something with styling I don't like. I'd almost look at a Chevy first...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
Well, I was hoping the Ugly would end at the front end... but it progresses inside, too... :puke:

Does Dodge deliberately want to screw its sales this year?
These are the same people who hit the '04 Durango and the '05 Dakota with a super-sized Ugly Stick...unfortunately, I'm not surprised that the Ram followed suit. :(

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
These are the same people who hit the '04 Durango and the '05 Dakota with a super-sized Ugly Stick...unfortunately, I'm not surprised that the Ram followed suit. :(

Yeah... now I'm wondering if I should wait until they change the body style again.

Of course, then the Cummins won't be available.

OR (better) they'll put a larger Cummins under the hood. I haven't heard many rumors of what's to come... but I'm buying the truck because of the Cummins--not the Dodge. LOL

Of course, if I wait, maybe I'll wander back over to the Ford side of the house in '07... This '06 design is a disappointment. Could have lived with the front end, but the stupid stuff they did to the dash diminishes the value for my dollar in my opinion. The dash should cover the instruments completely--all the way to the end of the dash.

Grrr.... How to mess over what was a winning design....

MUDDY

Reaction score
mike,
it a mistake to buy for looks alone. just like choosing a woman. yes,,,,,,,,,looks are importnt but..............
i remember how i disliked the 3rd gens when they 1st came out. took a few months for them to grow on me.
but if i was doing it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,id look for an 03 or early 04. several reasons i think they the best choice since the 12v's
good luck which ever way ya go :)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's the front end of the '06.. I really don't think it looks all that bad. be nice if they would quit changing all the time tho... my trucks are outdated already and it seems like i just bought em... I won't be upgrading for this. :D

You must be registered for see images

Full Access Member
Reaction score
her's the uploaded file in case they change the url.

Attachments

• 20026921-E.jpg
    20026921-E.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's the uploaded file in case they change the url. :rolleyes:

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MUDDY said:
mike,
it a mistake to buy for looks alone. just like choosing a woman. yes,,,,,,,,,looks are importnt but..............
i remember how i disliked the 3rd gens when they 1st came out. took a few months for them to grow on me.
but if i was doing it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,id look for an 03 or early 04. several reasons i think they the best choice since the 12v's
good luck which ever way ya go :)

You're right... A well-cared-for '04 would probably be best... not sure why they would be better than the '05 or '06. My concern in buying used is that you end up with something that needs attention from the get-go and you don't really know what you're getting or if any band-aids have been applied instead of doing a fix right. Most dealers seem averse to allowing a fellow to really have a truck checked out.

Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 600s have some smog stuff on them that the HO didn't have. In 2004 they went to the 600 which was legal in all 50 states, including california.
the 2003 and early 2004 are missing some of those extras for smog emmisions.

the oil in my 2004.5 get dirty after a couple hundred miles where the 03 stays clean for much longer. I think it may have something to do with reburning something.. i should probably stick to the lounge..

MUDDY

Reaction score
well,,,,,,,,,,the 03/04 vs the 04.5 and newer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,03/04 better mpg and lower egt. no cat

on the 05 if ya got the 48re ya have no way to delete overdrive with a button. that drive me up a wall. harder on the trans and lugs the engine.

build date of 1-05 the 6 speed trucks have the mercedes g56 trans vs the superior nv5600. dont know how the g56 will hold in the long run

just a few points to consider.

none of the 3rd gen years are bad,,,,,,,,,,,,its just that i would prefer the 03 early 04 for reasons listed above

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828