U Joint How to?

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front u joint (closest to transmission) is going bad. Can it be replaced without removing the whole driveshaft. Anyone have good instructions on changing this?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope. You need to remove the complete shaft. Then working on a bench hopefully with the correct tools to press out the cups and install the new joint. Be sure to mark the shaft as it comes apart. They are "clocked" to the shaft. If the front one is bad I'm betting the middle and the back ones are near gone too. Might want to have a shop do all that replacement work. They can balance the shaft too. I grease mine plenty but when I "feel" them I have a well known shop local to me replace all of them. Its very cheap insurance the way I see it.

Black dawg

Reaction score
If you have changed alot of ujoints, then no, you dont have to remove the shaft, but if your not really good at it, better remove it.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if you have replaced way too many U-Joints, a good vice is always a friend. At least to me. And I usually blow out the U-Joint with a torch and clean everything with emery cloth. But that's just me.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hammer and a socket for me. I recently found out that the local driveline place installs them for free if you buy their joints. They have mostly Spicer at a very fair price.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hammer and a socket for me. I recently found out that the local driveline place installs them for free if you buy their joints. They have mostly Spicer at a very fair price.

I'd take that deal all day long and twice on Sunday unless they are grossly marking them up. I have a press and I still hate doing universal joints.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YES it can be done, if you have quality tools n skill to do it. If your asking if it can be done, its likely you do not have the correct tools to do so.

Perhaps removing it is best in this situation. If you do and it's a 2 piece rear do NOT separate the two parts to make it easier. Just keep the two shafts together so they cannot be unphased.

A vice and sockets or Hammer and sockets makes it simple if you have those.

Best gitter done!

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying this is the way you should do it, unless you are fairly skilled, but I've done this for years.

Remove the universal that is to be replaced from the yoke, leaving it in the driveline.
Using an oxy/acetylene torch, cut both sides off the universal still in the driveline.

After these cuts, the caps fall out with gentle tapping from hammer and socket.

Clean the holes, and reinstall the new universal.

I prefer using a torch due to some universals especially the factory ones, being difficult to remove sometimes, it decreases the chances of boogering up the ears on the driveline due to miss hits, and as your careful not to heat the ears or driveline, there's no other issues

gandalf

Reaction score

Does this driveline place have a name,is it a chain, or is it a one-off place? I'd like to find a deal like that here.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this driveline place have a name,is it a chain, or is it a one-off place? I'd like to find a deal like that here.
It's just a local place. I've never heard of a chain driveline place myself.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do NOT use a hammer and a socket. It works but you destroy the tool and can possibly damage the drive shaft or your hand or both. Be safe and smart. I have this kit http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-7897-Service-Tool/dp/B00061SGZO It is cheap and does ball joints and U-joints. I have changed the U-joints in about 10 minutes on my truck using this tool. Makes it incredibly easy. No vice, I take the drive shaft off and set in in the bed and swap them out right there. And with that kit you get the advantage of having a ball joint press also.

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful with a ball joint press. I have seen a couple driveshafts get the ears bent with a ball joint press.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online