U Joint How to?

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used PB Blaster before pressing and then put a bit of pressure then hit it with a hammer to loosen. It has worked every time. You don't have to hit it very hard, just a medium tap on the side of the ears to nudge it free.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent 21 years wrenching professionally, not to mention 24 more years as a die-hard do-it-myself gear head and while I didn't keep count of how many u-joints I have replaced, I'll bet I'd be in the top five or better on this board for how many I've done. I don't make that statement to aggrandize myself, just to bolster the following:

As a pro, I would not even consider trying to replace a u-joint under a truck. Doing so leads to many potential problems, moreso if you have not done a bunch of u-joints before. Could I do it? Probably. Never tried because I thought it was a foolish idea. The time you save for by undoing a handful of bolts will be more than spent wresting thru the PITA of replacing a u-joint in the most awkward of circumstances. Do it on a bench with a vice, or barring that on a floor with plenty of room, good metal and wood blocks or a u-joint clamp (that is a tool that looks a little like a c-clamp and is easier for those with less experience).

Also, I saw somebody mention the use of a torch. Look up the words "anneal" and "brittle" in relation to steel and the use of heat on it. There was a well known 4x4 shop in Colorado, who shall remain nameless, who swore by the torch method... until, that is, a guy broke a yoke due to it having been annealed by excess heat and that caused a nasty cascade effect and ultimately sent a **** ball rolling downhill towards the aforementioned well-known shop (who is now out of business, not for that specifically, but for similar shortcuts and poor practice). It can be done with care but when it becomes everyday, often that care kinda slips by the wayside. Given that the torch saves you only a few minutes work??????

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful with a ball joint press. I have seen a couple driveshafts get the ears bent with a ball joint press.

As long as you watch and make sure it is aligned correctly it should be no problem. If it is rusted apply light pressure with the press and tap it with a hammer and it will break free. Works every time. I have replaced many U joints using a ball joint press and it is by far the best way I have seen. I have done a hammer and a socket before and ended up missing and smacking my hand, after I through the hammer I got calmed down then missed again and ended up hitting the ear and bending it. Man was I mad. LOL I bought that kit and never looked back.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Certain conditions have to be met for me to just change one in place, but it can be done quickly and cleanly. Most of the time it doesnt matter, as more than one joint needs changed anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online