Tymar is in - hearing some new things. Is it normal?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I hear more turbo whistle lower down in the boost range but when it shifts between 2nd & 3rd, 3rd & 4th, I hear what sounds like a ricer blowing off excess boost with one of those pop off thing-a-ma-jigs. With the chip turned up & giving it hell it shifted & did the pop off sound but added a sort of "skittering" sound mixed in. Sounds kinda cool but is it normal? Everything is tight. Anyone?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
absolutely normal.the blow of sound and the "skittering" sound is the boost comeing back through the turbo.just dont let it make the whoo whoo whoo whooshing sound too often as that is the boost pressure reversing the turbo wheel and will eventually break the shaft.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
absolutely normal.the blow of sound and the "skittering" sound is the boost comeing back through the turbo.just dont let it make the whoo whoo whoo whooshing sound too often as that is the boost pressure reversing the turbo wheel and will eventually break the shaft.

By the whooshing sound, you mean the skittering or something I haven't heard yet?

Also, I'm still running with stock exhaust but have the complete 4" system sitting in the garage. Just got it yesterday from Bean's. Once I get that on, will it reduce the blow back?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you will always have the blow back.thats half the reason the gassers run a blow off valve.the blow off valve lets the back pressure out so that it wont try to come back out through the carb.diesels have an open intake system so no need for the blow off valve.the whoosh noise you here when you let off the throttle is OK but when you get on it hard and let off the throttle and you here a series of whooshing,thats not good.

you can hear the whoosh in this vid.thats ok
http://media.putfile.com/dually-burnout84

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh and the 4" exhaust is gonna make the whooshing sound louder!:D it may also get rid of the what you call"skittering"noise

Blk03PSD

Reaction score
I am getting the same thing, a whoosing and skittering sound sometimes when I am pulling or just accelating hard. I can understand it sounding like you pulled the pin on a compressor release valve when you let off the gas, but it worries me when it makes that sound accelerating/under load.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
under acceleration and load is normal.thats mainly caused by the EBPV.gut the EBPV and the fluttery noise will go away and the whoosh will get louder.

Blk03PSD

Reaction score
Turbo Damage

What sounds, and when do they occur, are a prelude to possible turbo damage? I guess what I would like to know is, if you hear this noise at this time your hosed, but this noise at this time is no problem.

Blk03PSD

Reaction score
Another thought. Do the Banks, and for that matter the Beans, larger turbin housing have an EBPV? What effect does a wicked wheel have on the different turbo pressure sounds and finally, why did Ford, or Garrett, quit putting the wicked wheel in the turbos on the later model trucks?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im not too familiar with some of the stuff for the 99-up 7.3s.but whether you change turbine housings or not you will still have the EBPV as it is a separate piece from the turbo.im not sure what the max sustained safe boost pressures are on the SDs but you have a wastegate so you shouldnt have to worry about that.the time to worry is say you do a brake stand(smoke the tires with the brakes on) and when you let out of the throttle quick you hear a whoosh whoosh woosh sound that is a worry point.when you take off from a light hard and shift you hear a WHOOSH thats fine.watch my vid and you will hear the whoosh.unfortunately i dont have a clip of the turbo stall,wheel reversal but i may have to make one.

the wicked wheel is nothing but a stock 94-97 wheel.dont waste your money to buy the wicked wheel name.all it does is stop the compressor surge.not sure what that sounds like.it may be what you guys are calling a "skittering noise".

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
apextrans you ever been to a diesel tractor pull when a tractor will get close to the end and stall out instead of spinning out they will make a noise which is the boost preasure stalling the turbo thats bad but the rest should shound like your pete when shifting its just the release of preasure off the turbo thats more then ok thats cool also as for the wicked wheel some super duty guys swear by it I wouldn't rule it out till you talked to a few guys that have them

Gassers have to have a blowoff vavle cause when the throttle blades shut theres no where for the boost to go but back thru the turbo not the carb

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
the skittering sound is compresser surge / stall. not good at all for the turbo.
the best fix is the ats housing, also increases airflow. 2nd best is the wicked wheel(stock 94-7 wheel)
exhaust has little effect as does the ebv

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Been on the road blowing more Hyd lines & firing employees. I'm OK with the sound as long as it isn't hurting anything. I don't think I have the whoosh woosh woosh but I do get the blow off sound. The skittering only happened once & I had the chip maxed out with my foot to the floor & let off quick. Hasn't happened since. I do noticed a slight howl under accleration though. I figured it was just sucking alot of air in that I'm not used to hearing.

What does the different wheel do? spool up faster, more boost?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does the different wheel do? spool up faster, more boost?

It's intent is to minimize compressor surge/stall. Its a more aggressive wheel and you might see more boost out of it. Keep your SD at or below 25 psi though.

Blk03PSD

Reaction score
According to double-S-Diesel, I am hearing compressor surge / stall, not good for the turbo. I would like to install the wicked wheel. Since I will have the torbo off, is there any benefit to the larger turbin housing? What will it do, what are the drawbacks? They also have a cool flange that eliminates the EBPV, thought I'd do that too. I am really curious about the turbin housing though.