Tymar is in - hearing some new things. Is it normal?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont waste your money on the wicked wheel.buy the compressor wheel for the 94-97 PSD.its the exact same wheel as the wicked wheel without the price tag for the "wicked wheel" name.you can gut the EBPV yourself,no need to buy a "special"flange to get rid of ita larger turbine housing will give you more lag and less max boost.

remove the EBPV housing from the turbo.look inside of it.you will see 2 rivets holding the butterfly to the shaft.grind both sides of the rivets off so that you can remove the butterfly and pull the shaft out of the housing.go to autozone or other parts store and find a small steel freeze plug that will fit in the open hole that you slid the shaf out of.now hammer the freeze plug into the hole and put the housing back in.the freeze plug will cost you about $0.20 instead of whatever they want for that flange.

Blk03PSD

Reaction score
Sorry, I was using the "Wicked Wheel" name generically. I was plannig on getting the wheel from Beans, the "BDP Anti-Surge" wheel for $86.

What is the benefit of the larger housing? More lag and less boost sounds like modifying it in the wrong direction.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the bigger housing is good for trucks like mine with big injectors.the big injectors will make up for the lag and low boost but the larger housing will reduce EGTs.

Blk03PSD

Reaction score
Thank you, Rich! That is exactly what I wanted to know. I will install the wheel only and gut the EPBV my own self.;Sweet

treefidy

Reaction score
ATS

I would stay away from the wheel, first off the wheel on your stock turbo is balanced and set good. if you replace that with another wheel you cant be 100% sure that that wheel is going to be balanced correctly on the shaft for your truck or that it might get pinched. I delt with the compressor surge for almost a year and a half. my truck is a man trans which makes it even worse. do your self a favor. bye the ats housing; there no more than 450.00 shipped. i took me and the brother in law about two and a half hours to put it in and i LOVE IT. no surge no flutter no swooshing and it spools better. along with a quiter sound "besides the cool turbo whine" of course this is my opinon and im not damning others. but i researched it for a darn long time and this is the best thing that i have ever done besides the exhaust and programmer:thumbsup:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's where I got my rebuild kit and Banks wheel..... Ron's Turbo Service 1-801-842-9186

He has a very good reputation on many forums.

I sent him my exhuast turbine and shaft with the money order for $188 and he cleaned, polished and balanced it with the banks wheel for free...Very Fast service too. from my door in NC to his in UT and back in 5 days priority mail both ways;Sweet

He can staighten bent shafts too if needed.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Another sound - maybe related?

Something else I noticed: when in overdrive, I hear a constant "blowing sound coming from the intake I guess. If I shut off the overdrive & it kicks down a gear, the sound goes away but as soon as it shifts back into OD it makes the blowing sound again constantly. I amk getting a boost reading when it's doing this. Also normal? I ask because I was towing a skid loader with backhoe attached & a bucket & it was really blowing hard so I shut off the OD even though it wasn't hunting at all. Didn't know if something else is wrong.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you were probably actually most likely hearing the cooling fan.fords were known for a cooling fan that sounds like a freekin tornado when they come on.sounds like you were going up a slight hill or picking up speed while loaded wich will explain the building of boost and the coolinbg fan comeing on

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
you were probably actually most likely hearing the cooling fan.fords were known for a cooling fan that sounds like a freekin tornado when they come on.sounds like you were going up a slight hill or picking up speed while loaded wich will explain the building of boost and the coolinbg fan comeing on

I heard the cooling fan kick on yesterday while towing. This is something else, I'm pretty sure. Only does it in overdrive & it did it today while empty & about 55* outside temp.

It sounds like it's coming thru the intake, it's the "blow off" sound but constant.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like something only happening at max boost. If so...how many PSI boost does this happen.

Also, did you put in one of those overboost eliminators that have a pop off valve in the MAP sensor hose when you did the mods, you could be hearing that if you did once it gets to its set pressure.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Are all of the intercooler boots tight? Sounds like boost escaping from the system.

Blk03PSD

Reaction score
I experience the same thing. A very noticable blowing/sucking sound when under load at low RPMs. Since it is constant and always under the same conditions, I thought it was just the sound of the turbo breathing under load. When you mat it or take it out of overdrive it goes away, you just get the turbo whistle.

Last Saturday I installed the anti-surge wheel and larger turbin housing from Beans (they assured me that it would eliminate the surge and not make a noticable difference in performance AND lower EGT's which is important to me) and I still get that sound at low RPMs. I have not heard the skittering sound but I have not towed yet. I'll let you know after this weekend.

BTW - The turbo whistle is awesome but I am on the fence about the performance differcece and lower EGTs.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I experience the same thing. A very noticable blowing/sucking sound when under load at low RPMs. Since it is constant and always under the same conditions, I thought it was just the sound of the turbo breathing under load. When you mat it or take it out of overdrive it goes away, you just get the turbo whistle.

Last Saturday I installed the anti-surge wheel and larger turbin housing from Beans (they assured me that it would eliminate the surge and not make a noticable difference in performance AND lower EGT's which is important to me) and I still get that sound at low RPMs. I have not heard the skittering sound but I have not towed yet. I'll let you know after this weekend.

BTW - The turbo whistle is awesome but I am on the fence about the performance differcece and lower EGTs.

What you just described is EXACTLY what I've got going on.

cdacaraudio

Reaction score
when i did my home made tymor i got the same sound when loaded 10k or more. ill have to take rich for a ride in my truck when i go and check his out and let him hear the sucking noise it makes see what he thinks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online