Twin Turbo

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
I am toying with the idea of running a twin turbo (but not piggy backed like the new 6.4L) I want to run a turbo off each side of the engine. I mean like 2 turbos like came factory on the 7.3L IDI one runnind from eache exhaust manifold i was also considering an air2air but where should i go for head bolt upgrades and what other mods should i do to accomodate this i will be using HUGE exhaust after the turbo. I want power BUT NO COMPUTER B.S. and reasonable fuel econemy for what i am getting as I will WORK the truck

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yup, there's seems like a couple people that want to do this. There would be a lot of fabrication involved. I think you would have to ditch the stock exhaust manifolds because of where they exit, and fab up some custom headers (using some thick pipe and flange material). You would want smaller turbo's....something like half the size of what came factory. I have no idea what those would be though.

Head studs are a must, if its a 6.9 arp sells a kit, if its a 7.3 use arp 7" long studs, not in a kit you just gotta order them.

Fuel economy is a factor of a good fuel system, speed, and your right foot, thats basically it.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Be easier & cheaper in the long run to swap a 12v Cummins in there. If your after a powerful, reliable rig that get's good MPG & no computer you will be way ahead of the IDI with the old 12v.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Be easier & cheaper in the long run to swap a 12v Cummins in there. If your after a powerful, reliable rig that get's good MPG & no computer you will be way ahead of the IDI with the old 12v.

BLASPHEMY!!!! LOL I would put in a Cat, DD, perkins, a lot of things instead of a cummins....why because Cummins swaps have been done before, boring.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
BLASPHEMY!!!! LOL I would put in a Cat, DD, perkins, a lot of things instead of a cummins....why because Cummins swaps have been done before, boring.

Might seem boring to you (they are like the 350 chevy of Diesel's) but you don't see the other ones as DD or serious sled pullers. You can't deny the sheer amount of engines & aftermarket parts around. Just stating IDI + large reliable hp = NO.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its yet to be proven what power level is long term reliable and attainable in an IDI but its definitely lower than any of the aforementioned engines, at least within reasonable cost. I was pretty happy with what mine did as a NA and thrilled with it with a turbo, but mine doesn't usually get severely worked. Justin is mostly right about the fuel economy but your cruising RPM is also a very crucial factor. Since you're making a custom rig from a blank slate make sure you pick the best gears for what you're doing and I highly recommend the brownie box you've discussed. GL

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 buick regal 3.8 turbos would be in line with what is needed for a twin setup. I think they are t03 which can be modded to a t03/4 hybrid. Changing the a.r. on the exhaust side for faster spooling and efficiency. It would be absolutely foolish not to run with a pop off valve but there are some great boost controllers out there now but that also depends if you call those computers. PSD pistons would be a great addition to the setup since they lower compression down to 17.5 to 1 which means the engine can build higher boost pressures. Air to air isn't the most efficient but is the most convenient for what we do and the area to do it in. To use an intercooler for each turbo wouldn't work so well because then the size would be halved which give less area for each to cool the air. Better to use a single intercooler that can allow more air to flow than a psd cooler but run a y pipe to feed both turbos or both feeding it.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Diesels dont require pop off valves, because they have no throttle bodies (well at least our dont......then 6.4 and LMM duramax do and I think so does the 6.7 cummins, but they are for emmisions resons, and I still dont think they use a pop off valve).

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pardon me 'waste gate' would be the proper name for my incorrect slang. A waste gate is a pop off valve. If boost goes higher than desired then the waste gate releases the excess pressure. If the boost gets too high then something has to give.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, lets talk about this. I am also thinking twin, or compound turbos on the 92, only because if I reuse the Hypermax system, it makes it real easy to put the second one in downstream from the 1st(it would sit right above the passenger valve cover) Then run the comp side of the big turbo into the hypermax, I would draw air into the big turbo. Would probibly need an external wastegate on the hypermax to divert excess drive pressure after it has spooled.
I wonder how much positive charge a hypermax can take before exploding the comp wheel.
NOTE* This engine is not going to have "stock" internals or fuel system.
I can see I'm not gonna make my goal to have it done this summer, so I'm gonna take the time over the winter and build the engine right.

Some ask why, I ask why not?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i think my terra's gonna but stuck till after winter, if it isn't together by the time the salt starts flyin' she's getting twin turbo'd over the winter. i'm thinking my best bet is 2 log style manifolds with2 turbos haning off the front of the motor. ;Sweet

-Jon

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might seem boring to you (they are like the 350 chevy of Diesel's) but you don't see the other ones as DD or serious sled pullers. You can't deny the sheer amount of engines & aftermarket parts around. Just stating IDI + large reliable hp = NO.

Sorry, but I gotta agree with Justin. The old "put a 12 valve in 'er" approach to diesel trucks is beat to death. As far as pullers.......a DT466 makes a much better patform and tractor pullers make insane HP with them. Some stuff them into TRUCKS AS WELL

Some photos of the truck in the vid found HERE.

The reason you see a lot of cummins in pulling trucks........they are easy to fit under the hood and it is true that there is a ton of power shops for them.

Heath

Last edited:

tractorman86

Reaction score
As far as pullers.......DT 466 make a much better patform and tractor pullers make insane HP with them. Some stuff them in to TRUCKS AS WELL

Some photos of the truck in the vid found HERE.Heath

-Drool -Drool -Drool -Drool -Drool that truck is so bad a$$!!!! i wish i could afford to dump one of those in my truck, it would make a good reliable daily driver.:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder how he cools it? That's what I'm talking about though. We have a new pulling class at the Buck for diesel pickups. 100% Cummins, if not 100% Dodge. Maybe a token PSD here and there. It's so boring, if it is the last class of the night, I don't even stay for it. More initiative to mix up the kinds of motors that we see is going to be a requirement if the class is going to survive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online