turning up your injection pump,help

jw674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 1992 ford 7.3 idi.i want to turn the ip up.i dont have a pryometer do i really need one if i turn it up a little bit,the set screw in side the ip ,they said you hafe to turn the engine over with a wrench untill you see the set screw will this screw my timeing up,cant i just turn the engine untill i see the set screw and turn it up and put every thing back together,or do i hafe to time every thing back.thanks james

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If you only turn it up a little bit...you wont exactly need a pyro right away, but you WILL NEED ONE eventually. Stock IDI's can hit high EGT's....stock, so even turning it up a little bit can and will set it over the top.

Watch for black smoke, lots of black smoke equals high EGT's. I wouldnt go WOT for more than 15 seconds without a pyro, from a stop. Pulling, dont go WOT for more than 10 seconds. I think this will keep you on the safe side.

But you are gambling an engine, and you can still melt it down.

Nope, take the side cover off. With a flashlite and mirror look for the set screw....and have someone underneath with a 15/16" socket/wrench and turn it over until you see it. No it wont mess up your timing. Dont go over a flat without a pyro. You wont need to time it afterwards, just put everything back together and away you go. Start it up and be ready to give it some throttle, cause it will try to stutter and die on you.

Good luck, and I hope you dont melt it down ;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GET THE PYRO FIRST!:backoff

A stock N/A IDI with a stock setting on the IP can and will make dangerously high EGT's. Turning up the fuel screw, even a little will only make it get to these EGT's faster. In my opinion (you know what they say about opinions) every diesel needs a pyrometer.;Sweet

Heath

jw674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok

thanks for the help guys.were do i buy a pyrometer.and what tempture will melt the engine,what tempture should i keep it at or under

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Heath. In stock trim, a factory IP is just about set to take you to the edge. If you run non-#2 fuel, you'll cross that line easily. Stay under 1250 absolute. In practice, more like 1150 just figuring your pyrometer may be off 100 degrees.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help guys.were do i buy a pyrometer.and what tempture will melt the engine,what tempture should i keep it at or under

Yup, 1100 or so it hot enough and I'd start backing off the throttle and let 'er cool off a bit.

You can get a pyro from ISSPRO, Autometer, ATS, Hypermax, Banks, and others.

Heath

jw674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pyro meter

do i hafe to use a pyro meter,can i use a differint meter.i called all auto places and know one has pyro meter

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Thats the only thing that going to give you the temps. As the others have said the pyrometer is a must.

Personally, I got the ISSPRO because I like the colors, but in retrospect I wish I had gone with Autometer.

Thad

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
if you have an auto zone nearby then go up there and look for the books that you can order the performance parts out of. Then find the autometer book and look through there for one that you really like mine is part number 4344 dont buy the glowshift or any other cheapos i would only trust brand names because i was going to buy a cheapo but they do not offer any kind of warranty and their customer service sucks.

If you prefer internet buying go to egauges.com but i will warn you that some companies may not honor their warranty if you buy there.