turning up the pump

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i heard you can turn the pump up on these...does anyone know how to do it or have a site that shows step by step instructions...this thing is a dogg( i had to sell my 01 ram cummins) (needed money and a cheap rig to drive) my cummins would wipe its ass with this 6.2 and it needs some help. it already has dual exhaust and reversed packs on it. and will the 700r4 trans hold up to performance mods? and will the engine hold up to performance mods?

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Get an early 6.5 pump. The local diesel shop threw one on a 6.2, and it ran surprisingly well.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a look on the passenger side of the IP and see if there is a triangular shaped cover on the side of the pump. Report back. As far as modding it goes, don't, if you want this thing to last. there's a reason why GM diesels are unwanted stepchildren.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Without a turbo or some form of forced induction turning up the pump is mostly pointless... Listen to towcat if you want it to last leave it a slug...

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so it wont help at all? and do the 700r4's hold up to anything...i dont know much about these 6.2's, i had a 24 valve cummins ram but needed money and sold it, i found this suburban for 1200 bucks, the pump looks new...everything works fine..runs ok i guess...but i dont have the green for a turbo or a 6.5 pump right now..and if i come up with some $$$ for a 6.5 pump..how much hp will it increase?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a limited budget....leave the damn truck alone or it will leave you walking. Before doing anything else, get a pyro mounted and a good water temp gauge. Watch them like a hawk. I bulletproofed mime by ripping out the thm700 and putting in a thm400 with a GV OD. The guys managed to break the GV after two years of hard abuse. the 6.2 pump will get you by but DON'T TURN UP NOTHING UNTIL YOU PUT A PYRO ON THE TRUCK. I don't know how to get across to you that these motors are better left alone if you are on a budget.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok...so if left alone...what can i expect from this engine as for longevity? what are common problems?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
holtzer1 said:
ok...so if left alone...what can i expect from this engine as for longevity? what are common problems?
longevity? unknown. how many miles does it have? common problems? Over heat it once and its done. that is why you need a reliable water temp gauge.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know the odometer shows 22k...its clean as a whistle engine wise...not a drop of oil leaks, so i'm assuming it has 122..it was a oocal rig, and i'm gettin a set of gauges for it as the oil pressure gauge dont work too well. so i'm gettin a temp/oil press/alt gauge this weekend. id overheating the worst thing i have to worry about? i heard they throw rods left and right...but i also heard they are great engines...what kinda mpg can i expect too?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
holtzer1 said:
i know the odometer shows 22k...its clean as a whistle engine wise...not a drop of oil leaks, so i'm assuming it has 122..it was a oocal rig, and i'm gettin a set of gauges for it as the oil pressure gauge dont work too well. so i'm gettin a temp/oil press/alt gauge this weekend. id overheating the worst thing i have to worry about? i heard they throw rods left and right...but i also heard they are great engines...what kinda mpg can i expect too?
The bottom end of the motor is questionable, but I have yet to lose one over a chucked rod and I have babysat quite a few of them. I do have one 6.5 right now with a siezed bottom end. What are they great on? Commuter mileage. Easy 18-22mpg. Just don't tow with it.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats my plan...just to and from work...what about"gettin on it"...do they take offense to it? or hold together with revs? what kind of hp increas with a 6.5 pump?

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
You can "turn up" your 6.2 pump and push plenty of fuel for the N/A 6.2. Therefore the 6.5 pump is a waste of money unless you add a turbo. If you turn the fuel screw up <1/8 it will probably smoke like crazy...

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm not worried about smoke at all...everyones got massive smoke around here...i'm just lookin for a few more ponies so i stops up and down shifting on every single little hill...i'm not tryin to squeeze 75 more hp out of it. the injector pump on it is brand new...i still cant figure out why they got rid of it...but anyways, where is the fuel screw..which way to turn it...and what about the transmission...i'm a gm dummy so i know not much about the 700r4 too. how much can the screw be turned without sacrificing reliability?

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
If you want to turn up the pump the screw is located under the top cover, I think neverenough has a site with a bunch of cheap power mods for all kinds of diesels. It has been brought up before in the medium duty section. I'm with towcat on this one, any power mod will sacrifice reliability. If you just need it to drive from point a to b every day then leave it alone. Keep an eye on the coolant guage and give her hell...

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Towcat already said it, under the heart shaped cover. Under that is a little screw for a 5/32" allen. You may have to bump the engine over to access the screw. Tighten it no more than 1/8th of a turn. Then you can loosen the 3 (15mm head)bolts that mount the pump and push it/rotate it a smidge towards the right and re-tighten the bolts. There's the 2 cheap GM mods I know and have done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online