turbos

6.9l ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this question doesn't belong here, but i don't know where to put it.
I have always dreamed of putting twin turbos on my mustang (gas):sly. Will a diesel turbo work with a gas motor (I know bad word)? Or do they spool to fast for the given rpm. This gas motor turns 5500rpm. Thanks Jason :D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turbo does not care what it is on. you need two 2.5 dodge turbo 4cyl turbos for that stang. Or some other t3/t4 hybrid.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I was going to say use a couple of old Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe turbos (manual versions, not the automatic) and have at it.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go over to turbomustang.com i think thats the webiste.. they have sections dedicated to ford, dodge, chevy, etc etc.

6.9l ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turbos used on 94-98 cummins with a 20psi wastegate look like a place to start. I have a 04 dodge 2500 in my shop for a clutch replacement, & the turbo likes the same as earlier years but I know they have around 30psi of boost. I see there are several models hx25-50. Does anyone have a "chart" for size to flow?? thanks Jason:D.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Depending on where you want the power to hit, you could take a couple of HX35s and adjust the size of the turbine housings to control the onset of boost, smaller housings to speed up the response at the expense of backpressure, larger ones to drop the backpressure for stronger mid and top end. If your motor is pretty strong off boost, you won't need a lot of boost to make your number and it'll be more tolerant of the gasoline quality. How much boost are you shooting for and what is your power goal? The other thing is, are you using efi or are you blowing through the carburetor?
If you go efi, you can make a tune that will be good for E85. That stuff is better than race fuel.

6.9l ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops ,missed that, didnt read the sig and no one has a real engine in a mustang.

I agree 2 hx 35's would be a great starting point, or a pair of TO4B's

I had to be different, the BBF is a torque monster for a gas engine.

My cam & intake make power from 1500-5500rpm, 525hp, 550ft lbs.
I converted the 4 barrel to efi with a megasquirter-II system. I still am buying parts to finish the efi but am getting closer. :sly

I thought about Garret t66 turbos, but the hx-35 are easier to get for me.
The power I am looking for is between 800-1000hp. The car is caged & framed for that kind of power.Hx-35s may not be big enough but it's a start.:D

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
OK, then what you need to do is go over to www.turbobygarrett.com and start making accurate calculations for your power goals. They have all the formulas so you don't have to guess. If you want to step it up a notch, look at a HX40 off of a big horse Cummins C8.3 or a turbo off of a high hp rated DT466.

If the motor is as strong as you say it is, then every pound of boost could equal 40-50hp, so at 10psi you'll hit your number, maybe 15psi at the most.

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some diesel turbos have different seals than the gas version, the gasser will need to stand up to vacuum on the intake side when the throttle is closed, which tries to suck the oil thru the seal, diesels don't see this. I am not sure how common this is.
JwS

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
his turbos will be before the throttle body so it will be ok.
I have built a couple 460 fire breathers, love those big engines
My next toy is going to be a 57 dodge PU with a twin turbo injected 383

6.9l ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, then what you need to do is go over to www.turbobygarrett.com and start making accurate calculations for your power goals. They have all the formulas so you don't have to guess. If you want to step it up a notch, look at a HX40 off of a big horse Cummins C8.3 or a turbo off of a high hp rated DT466.

If the motor is as strong as you say it is, then every pound of boost could equal 40-50hp, so at 10psi you'll hit your number, maybe 15psi at the most.

She "the engine" is a labor of love,& scarey strong. E85 is the fuel I plan to use or m-1 methanol.:sly

I hope to be back working on her this winter then my wifes list is shorter.:rotflmao

Thanks to all for the info!! Jason