Turbo v non-turbo mileage?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, a question for those who are running WMO/RUG...

If you collect WMO from places like auto parts places, oil change places, etc... Aren't you concerned about all the contaminants that are in there?

Not counting the things like used antifreeze hat gets dumped in, you still have a bunch of crap chemicals that people add to their engines.

Seems to me that it would either be dangerous to your system, or extremely expensive to get rid of stuff like that.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know where my oil comes from. :)
I doubt I would ever use waste from a service station or auto parts store.
The better ones will have different storage tanks for the oil and the brake fluid/antifreeze.
But if I did, there are ways to separate out the crap. But it takes a while to
let it settle out, and depending on what you are filtering for, a bit of heat.
But yes, it pays to be careful with the source.
Mine comes from industrial engines that are changed on a schedule, and is fairly clean
when removed, and hydraulic systems (which typically do not get dirty from use).
The IDI seems to LOVE hydraulic oil. :)

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
My 88 with a zf5 old style banks tubro and 4.10 cruising at 2k rpm on the highway with no hills and a loaded bed no trailer 24.32 miles a gallon before i turned up the pump last weekend

How many tanks and miles was this measured over? I have a hard time believing it particularly with 4.10:1 gears. If just one tank and previous and subsequent tank not measured then this data is suspect and irrelevant IMO. Very easy to not completely fill, particularly if you haven't done large external vents on your tanks. Details on your truck and what work you've done to it please as well.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have reservations about this. Everything I have with 4:10 or better gearing
will not get over 12 MPG unloaded. Gasoline or diesel. At any speed.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
One of the guys here I believe has 4.10:1 with either an E4OD or ZF5 and a Gear Vendors. Forget what MPG he gets on the highway but I believe it's less than 24. Want to say he cruises at 1600 RPM or so on the highway. There's a thread but can't find it.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overdrive changes the whole picture. As does the manual transmission.
If those are in the mix, poster should say so.

maverick350

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most driving I get around 12-14. truck weighs 8500 empty.

I just put on 19.5's a bit ago, don't think I could have gotten away with that without the 4:11's mileage seems about the same, will take a while to draw a conclusion though.

The econoline I was driving for a while with the 6.9 banks turbo and c6 and 4:11's was considerably lighter, and I got 12-14. Not much different than the heavier truck. I suspect od would have brought me up to 16, but that's just a guess. I loved driving that old van, cops don't seem to have any interest in pulling over vans. Really could have used an od though.

Figures based on multiple fill-ups, with some adjustment for odometer error.

GunnerJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 93 na with 3.55s and a zf5 sitting on 33 inch tires averages 18, but 97% of my driving is right at 55mph. Oddly, my mileage drops to 15-16 if I drive 50( the speed limit)
Max was 22 during the winter time a couple of years back RIGHT after I replaced my injectors.
Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many tanks and miles was this measured over? I have a hard time believing it particularly with 4.10:1 gears. If just one tank and previous and subsequent tank not measured then this data is suspect and irrelevant IMO. Very easy to not completely fill, particularly if you haven't done large external vents on your tanks. Details on your truck and what work you've done to it please as well.

Dunk it was one tank i fueled up completely before the trip took very close to a full tank and rear gears dont matter its rpm its just the speed at which your going at the rpm 2k rpm at 55 and 2k at 65 2k is 2k i understand load but with shorter gears it makes it is less load on the engine due to gearing. i was going 55ish at 2k with cruise control on fueled back up once i got home calculated mileage at the fuel pump and thats it, im not sure why this is irrelevant i get worse fuel mileage typically due to the fact that my 1 hour trip to school has many hills so, yes it happened does it happen everyday to me no, does that make my mileage irrelevant absolutely not. and what other info do you want just let me know i thought i gave enough. Mind you this is florida on 75 it is complety flat.

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dunk what your failing to realize is this happened under the best circumstances. im not going to take joy rides down 75 to report back to you, i work under a mile away from my house and my school is an hour away with many hills so that would be invalid, all i was doing was saying the best fuel mileage i got under the perfect circumstances thats all i was trying to do, i have no reason to lie about mileage thats petty. If you choose not to believe me thats fine, trust me an opinion from a guy on the internet wont hurt my feelings.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I do nto believe your number is accurate. 1 tank in optimal conditions with no date from at bare minimum previous and subsequent tank. Your data is irrelevant. As I said, track every tank for a few months and then let us know your best/worst/avg. That is what I do, my numbers are real, any inaccuracies from variances in fuel level in tank are averaged out. Your numbers are suspect and cannot be taken seriously being significantly above everyone else here with a similar truck and only measured over 1 tank. Back to la-la land for you.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I track my mpg every time I fill up. This last run today across the desert @70 mph was surprisingly better than average. 15.54 mpg. When I filled my tank I made sure to shake the truck and to fill it till I could see fuel. 170 miles on 11 gallons. I'm suspecting that the station I buy fuel from in town has goofy pumps as I rarely see 14.0 mpg or higher.today I filled up at a different station

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been tracking mine consistently every fill up since I've got it. I've put 10k on it in this time. 1990 zf5 n/a 2wd crew cab 4.10's I run both tanks to 1/4 and fill em until they won't bubble down even when truck is shaken. 95% of my driving is highway cruising and not many hills to and from work 36 miles each way. Best I've ever done is 20.8, and usually I'll get 19.5 to barely over 20.

During a couple of months of winter I tossed what the guy at the gravel yard referred to as "3 scoops" of limestone in the bed for weight for my driveway, probably around 1 1/2 to 2 ish tons in and my mpg during these times went to 17mpg almost on the dot every time. Worst ever was 16.5 with a lot of idling to warm up.

By the exact same fill up methods I get a pathetic 14mpg in my 250 single cab straight six 4x4 m5od and 15mpg in the 150 single cab t18 4x4..

I don't see 20mpg being out of the question if unloaded with overdrive and easy driving conditions but I can't imagine much better then that.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed Banks kit in '87 when the truck had 7K miles on it. Slight uptick in mpg for the same driving style. Where the turbo shines is the power department and the work you get out of a galling of fuel. I noticed that under load the truck deliver better mpg because you didn't have to have your foot in it quite so far. Also, by adding more air to a given amount of fuel (controlled by the pump) you get more complete combustion so you are getting more work from the fuel. Getting near 30 years of ownership of this truck and the mileage is as predictable as gravity for the most part. It's very rpm and gearing related, whether turbocharged or not, so if a person is wondering where to spend money the most wisely to get mpg, a 5-speed conversion is probably the best choice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online