Turbo outlet mod and Diamond Eye 4" Stainless Exhaust Install

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got interested in helping my truck breath better and so I read up on doing the 3" turbo outlet elbow mod in the following link (and others):

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?47739-Turbo-exhaust-elbow-modification

Also to help with breathing, some owners have installed a 4" exhaust system and downpipe for an OBS Powerstroke, with slight mods to the downpipe.

All this well serve to benefit any future performance mods, so I decided to go with it, and I got the parts together and yesterday started the project by taking out the old exhaust and downpipe.

I had today off, so next I started working on the 5 exhaust outlet housing bolts.

Whoever it was that said those 5 elbow bolts are a pain was sure right!!! I finally gave up and pulled the turbo.....Like under the hood all day crammed in the engine compartment, pullin the turbo. :frustrate :frustrate :frustrate :D

I don't know if its possible to pull an outlet elbow on the truck if it hasn't ever been off before like mine. (apparantly) Before I pulled it, I managed to get 2 of the 5 bolts out, then proceeded to round off the head of the one by the wastegate arm...

So I spent most of the day pulling the turbo so I could get to the other 3 bolts. Hadn't even tried on the one under the elbow. Sure was nice with the unit in the vise on the workbench. Impact driver made short work out of 2 more bolts, then I was able to break the under elbow one loose with a box wrench.

The 3/8" studs n nuts that hold the turbo to the up pipe? Well thats another story....I managed to get all 4 of 'em finally, but it wasn't easy.

So I chased the mounting stud threads with a die and cleaned the housing holes with a tap, and now I have the turbo back on the truck. Also I cut off the funneled down end of the outlet elbow, so next is to weld the short piece of 3" pipe and the v-band flange on and start putting the elbow back on.

Then I can start on the exhaust install....

Sorry no pics, but I guess there have already been lots of pics posted of this mod.

More later...

Last edited:

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, and your thread is one of the other ones I looked at and am following. Question: Did yours work out ok just welding the Vband directly to the elbow? Some seem to use the little short piece of the 3" pipe and others dont...:dunno

And....thanks for the pics of the downpipe and where to cut it....

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
your welcome.

yeah everything worked fine just welding the v-band to the outlet. now that i think about it. i think doing that will result in less of a bend at the bottom of the down pipe to clear the cross member. i kept the new flange on the same "plane" as the factory flange just moved it "up" so to speak.

btw. i slipped the two pieces of the down pipe all the way together.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I didn't read in the above posts about using some antisieze on any threads.. Hopefully you did for the next time things needs to come apart... Sounds like your doing the right thing by making these mods to the exhaust. I know this will free up the flow, reduce temps and increase hp and fuel mileage.. Its well worth the effort..

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't read in the above posts about using some antisieze on any threads.. Hopefully you did for the next time things needs to come apart.....

Yup, antisieze on the turbo/up-pipe studs n nuts when it went back together. Not sure how it'll hold up with the heat, but its gotta be better than nothing...

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it finished!!!!

Thought I would post a few pics, sorry for the junky cell fone pics.

Finished outlet elbow. I used a 1-1/4" long piece of 3" exhaust pipe between the flange and elbow. The flange kit I bought had kinda "short" weld flanges and I was afraid that if I went straight onto the cast elbow with the flange that the cast and weld would get in the way of the clamp.
You must be registered for see images attach

Inside of the modded outlet flange. Still have some die grinding to do....

Pic of the downpipe flange.

Modded Cat Delete Pipe. I decided to cut and angle it instead of the lower part of the downpipe. Figured if the cut and weld is going to add any restriction, then 4" is better than 3". Worked out really well.

Really happy with the improvement in the truck. With the exhaust work I also advanced the timing about a dime thickness. Enough so that when the cold advance is on, it has more of a clatter than before. Truck runs quite a bit better ;Sweet

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's really neat, I like this mod, much less expensive than those um....UN available ATS upgrade outlets...rofl...

Nice work...Thanks so much for sharing.

AL