Turbo Oil Leak... Help

George_7.3IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a hypermax non wastegated turbo that I recently installed on my truck. I just took it apart yesterday because I have an oil leak problem and it seems to be coming from the turbo. It looks like it was leaking at the seam where the turbine housing and turbine wheel go together. I also found that some of the bolts holding the flat curved metal bars in place to keep the turbine housing connected to the rest of the turbo unit where loose.

So the first thing I was wondering is it even possible for oil to be leaking from the seam where the turbine housing and turbine wheel go together?

When I took the turbine housing off and starting from the end of the hot side turbo shaft there is the turbine wheel and then what looks like a small cylinder with one end cut off and a lip on that end that sits in the recess in the turbine housing. I was able to move that cylinder piece up and down on the shaft slightly but I can also move it around on the shaft. Is this something that I should be concerned about?

Also this is on the '92 in my signature.

Thanks for any help
George

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure which turbo hypermax uses but I recently purchased and rebuilt a banks non-wastegated turbo which is just a Garret T04B. I had a oil leak at the turbine wheel end of my turbo as well. I'm guessing the culprit was the piston ring but don't know enough about sealing mechanisms in these turbos myself to be certain.

here's a link to a website that shows the breakdown of the T04B(T3/T4 hybrid kit). it might give you some clarification on terminology and part identification.

http://www.gpopshop.com/garrettt3kits.html

I'd guess you were talking about the turbine piston ring by your description? "Typ4" does rebuilds if you're interested.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is probably describing the heat shield, and yes they can leak oil wherever they like.

George_7.3IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty sure it was oil leaking past the turbine piston ring. The turbo is less than two months old though. I called hypermax and talked to them and we figured out that I likely hadn't punched enough holes into the baffles in the valley pan. Anyways needless to say I tore the turbo down over the weekend and thoroughly swiss cheesed the valley pan baffles to ensure without a doubt that there are now enough holes in it for the turbo oil drain. So far it seems as though that has fixed the problem.

On another note I know that the turbo is a Garrett because it has a honeywell garrett tag on it but I'm not sure which one it is... the number I got off the tag was KKM09241.

Thanks
George