Turbo install

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't take those out. Am I needing to put new studs in, or remove for easier installation, then reinstall? I bought some exhaust sealer I was going to use on there, as the connection isn't that awe inspiring.

Just reading FTE that on the zf-5 there's a nipple/***/poke out, that has to be cut for the downpipe to clear?

You have to remove them so the y will seat against the manifold. They are replaced with bolts, the studs go in the y for the crossover.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, there is a tab / ear on the ZF-5 that will need to be trimmed to fit. It's aluminum, and a Sawzall makes quick work of it.

Good luck. Been there.

Runningaford

Reaction score
You have to remove them so the y will seat against the manifold. They are replaced with bolts, the studs go in the y for the crossover.

I'm having a real bear of a time getting those studs out. I've been spraying them with PB throughout the day, and will I guess let it soak in, and try again tomorrow. What I've been doing is just tightening two bolts against each other, but continually they just back off....... is there a better way?

Right now, and I don't want to do it, but if it's still a bear tomorrow, then I'm thinking about just welding the nut on the stud.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
those studs, if factory should have a hex on them. If not you dont need to remove them.
The Y hits the hex and keeps it from seating

Runningaford

Reaction score
those studs, if factory should have a hex on them. If not you dont need to remove them.
The Y hits the hex and keeps it from seating

No hexes, as far as I can tell; look round as round can be over the length. :D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok sorry for the mis info, they must have been changed.:sorry:

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check again to make sure they don't have the hex. Mine did, and as Russ says, the y-pipe will hit the hex before it seals against the "ball" of the manifold. And yes, if in fact yours are round, then no changing needed ;Sweet

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

ATTACH=CONFIG]62425[/ATTACH]
Maybe these will help?

Attachments

• turbo install6.jpg
    turbo install6.jpg
    617.5 KB · Views: 51

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
The two cast pieces were still together when I sold it unless Matt separated them. They were like that when I got it so I never split them. I just fed the assembly down the back of my engine and bolted it to the passenger manifold then the cross over pipe.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Runningaford

Reaction score
No haven't split them, but will need to bend a little more sheet metal to get that assembly down; just tried, and it was getting hung up.

What I'm confused on right now, is the hard oil supply line for the turbo. it has two female olives on it. I removed the oil sending unit which has a male end that was threaded into the hex head base; female of course. Do I need to buy a brass adapter(like a male close nipple?) to connect the hex to the oil supply line, or does the hex come out, and the oil supply line goes down below....... if that's the case, how do you tighten it down, there's no room for a wrench?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On mine the oil supply line ran down to an elbow that screws into the driver's side of the engine down at the oil galley. 1/8" pipe plug IIRC. Yours may be different. I left the oil pressure sender in place and undisturbed.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I am sorry, I believe I might have missed a fitting that went in the top of the hex to make it a male fitting to fit on the hard oil feed line.

I don't know if you could use a standard hardware store fitting or if it is specific to the kit. Let me know I can reimburse since I missed it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More pics, hope these help. I changed mine to a 3" DP (Diamond Eye).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online