Turbo IDI running hot

QuickIDI

Reaction score
I'm glad for all the information I've gleaned from you guys over the years, sorry I apparently can't use the search function properly. I've got a 94 factory turbo 7.3 it's been a great truck it's awesome and I love it.
For some background I bought it while I was in a bind about 4 years ago and love it, it makes about 25 miles grossing 26k every 6 weeks with a 32 foot flatbed and John Deere 7230 with a loader to load chicken litter, it's always got warm on the pull but always went right back to cool with some trans braking and a light foot when needed, I've got glow s#it gauges and keep my EGTs under 1200 as much as I can, it's spiked to 1300 ish but nothing sustained.
I turned the pump up 2 or 3 trips ago, maxed it out and drove it easy until I bought a Duramax (insert hate here)
Fast forward a few weeks and I jumped in it to go help a buddy cause the LML was tied up, 8 miles down the road got to and helped the guy and headed back and see my heat gauge between L and maxed out. Got home parked it and put a gallon of coolant in it the next day.
So the truck stays cool around the house runs like it always has until I put it on the road, it takes 3 or 4 miles at 70 mph and the heat gauge gets way up there but it doesn't lose coolant, I can hear the fan but it doesn't sound very aggressive and nothing has changed other than the temp gauge. I can idle it around the house all day and it stays cool.Truck got a new water pump two summers ago but not thermostats or anything else. AC works great unless I'm idling in the heat then 1200 rpms keeps it cool. I'm thinking a clogged up cooling stack.

It's a 94 7.3 factory turbo rclb 4x4 ZF5 with a luk flywheel and maxed out pump with 190k on it

Tldr; truck ran great until I parked it now it's running hot

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get a real gauge. Use an infrared thermo on the tstat housing and the bottom and top of rad. Check when it's reading cool and when it's reading hot. Check your bottom hose for collapsing.

Why the need for a gallon of coolant?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timing,fuel,gauge
Check,adjust,replace

QuickIDI

Reaction score
I would get a real gauge. Use an infrared thermo on the tstat housing and the bottom and top of rad. Check when it's reading cool and when it's reading hot. Check your bottom hose for collapsing.

Why the need for a gallon of coolant?

Truck was just low after sitting, it hasn't needed anymore since. I'll try to verify the temps and the bottom rad hose next time I drive it

QuickIDI

Reaction score
Timing,fuel,gauge
Check,adjust,replace

I advanced the timing a hair, like less than a dime width and I could barely tell anything moved, trying to compensate for the wear, and got a little bit of high rpm clatter then I got busy and haven't bothered to retard it. I'll do that next time I get to work on it.
I'm gonna leave the fuel where it is because it only puffs when you put your foot in it.
I'm gonna trade my 2 pillar pod for a 4 pillar and add oil pressure and water temp as well as my egt and boost gauges

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Staff online

Members online