Tuning, Turning, Tweeking the IDI 7.3

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
seems white blue on warm up and white after warm up

when you revved her you didnt have any black smoke to speak of so max fuel setting is not your concern the screw under that cover only adjust max fuel. If you think of your fuel delivery as a linear graph that screw increases the slope of the graph but does nothing to the start point

If your exhaust looked like this when flooring it you should adjust that screw down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TUcMndGzpI

like I said before black is normal but clouds of black is not

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The idle smoke dissipates as the engine gets warmer but I think most of that is from the WMO contaminating that rear tank. fuel returns to the rear tank if I remember right. That and I filled the IP and the fuel filter with motor oil when I installed them. So its still probably burning off some oil. The smoke looks whitish blue and the truck has no power. But there is unburned fuel dripping off the insides of the exhaust pipe.. When you put your foot into it you get a whopping huge cloud of smoke and not much go. So my theory is to turn down the fuel and see if I get a cleaner more thorough burn

I can't imagine turning it up when I've already got so much unburned fuel coming out the ass end of the thing

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it sounds a lot better with no load, but even just driving down the road it reacts very differently than in that film. The engine doen's rev like that it just bogs down and blows mountains of smoke

Black dawg

Reaction score
turning down the fuel rate is not the cure to this problem. To be blowing that much white smoke when you floor it you are most likely retarded.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I wouldnt really call any of the smoke in this vid excessive except maybe the stroker and the f150

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjM2Y-6Sebo&NR=1

unburned fuel dripping off the insides of the exhaust?????????? that makes absolutely no sense you mean there is soot inside the pipes and condensation is causing it to drip??? like I said before soot inside the pipes is perfectly normal and unavoidable with a diesel

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I mean unburned fuel dripping off the inside of the exhaust pipes when I dismantled them to check for what kinda soot was collecting in there. The pipes were wet with unburned fuel.

I'm at altitude, normal settings are not likely to work out to well here.

Something else I'm kinda curious about, I've got three wires going to the IP, One is the choke but what the other two.

I'm turning down the fuel tomorrow and if that doesn't work I can always turn it back up later.

and that's one funny video, I liked that last were the truck disappears into the cloud, OK so that's not excessive smoke but I've still got no power and unburned fuel.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
No I mean unburned fuel dripping off the inside of the exhaust pipes when I dismantled them to check for what kinda soot was collecting in there. The pipes were wet with unburned fuel.

I'm at altitude, normal settings are not likely to work out to well here.

Something else I'm kinda curious about, I've got three wires going to the IP, One is the choke but what the other two.

I'm turning down the fuel tomorrow and if that doesn't work I can always turn it back up later.

and that's one funny video, I liked that last were the truck disappears into the cloud, OK so that's not excessive smoke but I've still got no power and unburned fuel.

after that comment I dont know what to suggest......

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it does OK if you keep your foot out of it. But it would never work up in the mountains. If you get after it, it just bogs down and blows smoke as bad as any of those at the rally. Its quite a cloud.

I'm also going to cut out some holes in the air cleaner housing so more air can get in through the filter.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel screw isn't your problem, I wouldn't touch it.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Boston: if it's dumping that much burnt fuel out the back end I bet your egts are dangerously high if you have a load on the trailer. Strongly suggest getting it working right to avoid a meltdown. That would really stink after all the work you just did. Also, god forbid you drive thru boulder or summit county and belch a little smoke. If the police didn't get ya, some yuppie will!

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all the more reason to turn it down. But there was no trailer, I'm down at my shop just trying to tune it. And ya I know all about Boulder, I used to live there for about 20 years. What a bunch of freaks that is.

Anyway one would think due to the excess fuel that there would be associated heat, but I'm not noticing anything smoking off the headers, and the stove pipe paint I used is only good to 1200°F so if I was over it should warn me by smoking that paint.

I tried turning the pump one way then the other and it didn't do much, so now I'm on to other adjustments. Primarily to reduce the amount of fuel in the exhaust. Which dictates turning down the fuel.

My question concerning the wires coming out the top of the IP is leading to if there is any kinda computer control of this thing. There's no oxygen sensor in the tail anywhere so I'm not sure what a computer would be doing if there was one. Certainly not controlling the burn of the engine. In which case I'm going to have to manually tune the air/fuel ratio somewhere. The injectors seem to control when fuel is dumped into the system but the fuel knob inside the IP seems to control how much. So I'm going to have to get at it and turn it down to eliminate liquid fuel coming out the ass end of this thing