Trying to remove fan

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
you can rent them at auto parts stores. i rented a pretty nice kit from car quest. it uses a big wrench that holds the bolts on the h2o pump pulley and then another wrench to turn the fan nut.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
what you need is one of these wrenches and this holder
You rotate the holder toward teh passenger side frame rail and let it brace against it while removing and it will hold solid, even if you have to put an 8 ft chunk of pipe on teh end of that wrench to get it to pop loose, set the holder against the drivers side frame rail to tighten ;Sweet With that nice thick wrench you will NOT slip, strip or otherwise damage the nut and it is not going to splay out and slip around the nut while you go careening face first into your fan, like those cheap, thin rental tools will if you get a stuck one, and if it's on as tight as it's supposed to be, it will be TIGHT

Truck#3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was a pain I ended up taking the water pump. Off with orthe fan attached

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's what I did to get mine off: I wrapped a big spud bar with a shop towel so not to damage the serpentine grooves on the pulley, then I used a ratcheting strap looped around the big pulley and tightened the crap out of it with the spud bard under the strap. I was fortunate enough to have a 1 7/8" crows foot (it pays to be a hydraulic tech once in a while :D) so I really had lots of positions with my 1/2" ratchet, put an extension on it and pulled it off. The only reason I did it this way is it was really late and I couldn't rent a chain wrench, but I think the strap is better as it won't damage the pulley and can be tightened quite a bit when it the right position.

Lots of torque and cuss words required: it's supposed to be very tight and should be thread lockered in place. DO NOT put it back on without tightening to the correct torque as it can (and will) come off and eat your radiator like Godzilla's tail destroying a train in Tokyo.

I'll also tell you something you might not believe: don't put that fan back on until Spring. You don't need one, especially in the Winter, as long as you aren't towing any heavy loads. I haven't had one on for about a year and a half now, and I'm not putting one back on (going electric in the Spring).

Good luck

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good healthy smack witha a big hammer on the fan side wrench in the direction you want it to go always worked for me. Try holding the pulley with a chin wrench

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just be careful around your radiator, I'd cut a piece of cardboard and cover the back side to protect it from any damage.

Good luck.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The O'Rielly's here in their help section has the wrench for $5. If the fan belt is still on slap the wrench with a hammer a time or 2 and you are in business.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Long wrench that fits the clutch and will reach the frame. rest it against the frame and spin the truck over itll bust it loose.

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem, mine was solidly fixed to the pump. I took it off and carried to the diesel shop down the road. 2 guys and 30 minutes later they had it apart. They said it was the worst they ever had seen.

sootman73

Reaction score
At the garage i worked at we had a wrench that would fit into an air chisel and thats how they would loosen the nut. no marring of the nut or damaging bearings. it was like using an impact wrench but from the side.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Please remember to use the wrenches also when you put it back on. You don't have to "gorilla" it , but make it tight.
Do not think that it will tighten with use. It will not. While it will appears to be OK while the engine is running, there will be a slight noise about 3 to 5 seconds after you switch off the engine, followed by some gurgling noises as your coolant drips to the ground from the gash in your radiator made by the fan as it spun off the water pump.

Some folks from the Western PA IDI Rally from a few years ago will know of what I am speaking.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No loctite is needed. I've always just used the correct wrench and what feels like a good bit of muscle on it, and it will be fine. Using the right tool is the best way to put it on and take it off.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use never seez and the proper torque.