Trying to get my turbo off

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I am in the midst of trying to get the turbo off for a rebuild but I can't figure out how to get it off. Is there a how too on here somewhere? I don't want to pull a bunch of stuff off that I don't need to.

suv7734

Reaction score
I'm not sure about a how-to but here is the parts diagram if it's of any help.

...I do still have the factory information but it's a 28 MB file in .pdf format. I'll try to peel out the "removal" section and see if it's small enough to post.

Attachments

• WG_ATS.pdf
    228.2 KB · Views: 23

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Knowing which turbo you have would help. Being a 94 I'll assume it's factory so it shouldn't be quite as bad as the other ATS since there's bolts on the exhaust housing.
Get a can of Aero Kroil and soak everything overnight so you don't hate yourself in the morning. It will make life easier.
Depending on how much finger room you have, you may want to consider popping the cab mounts and jacking the cab up.

On a stock one should be four bolts on the exhaust flange, two bolts to the pedestal, two bolts pedestal to manifold and I believe a slip fit or hose to the intake snail with a bolt down the center of it. and the oil line /sender fitting on top. Pretty sure that's the extent of it. Wish I could get my ford cd to work on this computer to pull you up a file but it crashes in xp every time.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how far have you gotten? I gouldn't get my up-pipe halves to separate for the life of me and finally unbolted and lifted the body 4in and the whole thing slid out. the up-pipes, downpipe, turbo assy, turbo mount came out as one unit.;Sweet

SKimballC

Reaction score
The hardest part is either separating the up-pipe halves or removing the 4 bolts on the exhaust flange. You must do either one or the other. The top up-pipe piece will come out with the turbo without undoing the 4 exhaust bolts if you can free it from the lower piece. But one of those 4 bolts is an utter PITA so that way's a challenge too.
You also have the two bolts on the bottom side of the turbo holding it onto the pedestal and I believe there's 2 bolts that hold the downpipe on with the factory turbos. If you can get all those loose, take the bolt from the center of the intake snail and start wiggling until you can get the intake snail to twist up and off and then you should be able to yank the turbo. It'll put up a fight so like Robert said soak those bolts first.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I have the intake off and the oil supply disconnected as well as all the heat sheilding off.

I do have the factory turbo. What do you have to do to get to all the bolts? Looks like the whole exhaust has to come off and that is going to be a *****.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Alright bud, I've been there and I know what your feeling right now. Some of the best advice I can give is when you get to frustrated, just walk away for a couple hours. It will give you time to relax and figure out what you can do.

Do you have the intake hat off yet? The hat that goes from the turbo and onto the intake manifold, its a cast aluminum piece? If you dont, you might will have to loosen up the bolts that hold the compressor side housing on the turbo (I'm pretty sure they are 1/2" bolts). There's one you cant get, but with enough force you can get the whole thing to rotate, and get the intake hat off.

With that off it frees up some room to play. Now take the throttle linkage off the IP. With that off, take the two bolts out of the intake manifold that holds the bracked for the throttle linkage. Move that out of the way to clear some more room.

This is where you decide if you want to unbolt the turbo from the turbo pedistal. You can either take off the two bolts that hold the turbo to the turbo pedistal (feel under the turbo, and you should feel two bolts), or you can unbolt the turbo pedistal and turbo as a whole unit. The turbo pedistal is held on with two bolts that go in back of the intake manifold (just below where the intake hat is, its where the old CDR is located on N/A IDI's. Taking the turbo off the turbo pedistal is hard, but its less mass to move when your trying to wiggle out the turbo. I would take the bolts off the turbo pedistal, but thats what I did. It really helps to have some rachet wrenches for this whole taking the turbo out. Rachet wrenches with the swiviling head (changes the angle) is a god send for this, they are spendy but help out a lot.

Now that thats taken car off, you get to the fun part. Take the 4 bolts (9/16" I believe) that attach the up pipe to the turbo. This is the only way to do it IMHO, because then you dont have to worry about bringing that all out when you pull the turbo out. This is where those rachet wrenches come in handy. Trust me its a PITA, but you'll get it eventually. Its all feel back there which kinda sucks though, but at least your not doing it in a 20* shop like I did :D.

Alright, know what you have to do is take off the down pipe. I think your style down pipe is differnet from mine. All I had to do was loosen up the exhuast, and pull my downpipe out (its a slip fit, just sits in there). I think your downpipe has some bolts on it, throw on some WD40 or something better like that see foam stuff, and let it sit a while. Take those off, and start wiggling that downpipe, it'll eventually come out.

Then pull out the turbo.

The first time I did it, it took me a good 16 hours to do, because I had no idea what the hell I was doing, and I was cold as hell. Plus I got frustarted a lot. Ended up taking me a couple days because I was going slow.

Have fun with it :rotflmao I hope I never have to do it again :D

sootman73

Reaction score
a suggestion for pulling the downpipe. there is a bracket on the DP that bolts to the second up from the bottom bellhousing bolt. you could loosen that and then unclamp the v-band clamp on the turbo housing to make things easier. (to get the DP out you would have to take out the bellhousing bolt completely. mine weren't in there that hard when i did my TC. with it loose it will give you much more play.

good luck!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well I won't get to mess with it again till the end of the week. Hopefully it will come off though.

Well if you have 10 minutes, go out there and blast all the bolts down with penetrating oil to loosen them up for when you pull it out ;Sweet

Keep us updated.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I am out here working on it. I don't know what the hell I am missing but I can't get the thing to budge. This is the most frustrating thing I have ever done. I could have had the whole motor out by now.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well I am out here working on it. I don't know what the hell I am missing but I can't get the thing to budge. This is the most frustrating thing I have ever done. I could have had the whole motor out by now.

I know what you mean man. What part are you having trouble with? What have you gotten off so far, help me to help you :D

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I am still trying to get the snail out of the way so I can get to those 4 bolts in the bottom. I took all the compressor bolts loose but I can't get anything to move no matter what I do.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a real PITA!! I worked on mine over a couple days for hours. I finally welded up a "slaphammer" rig to mount to the lower "Y" pipe exhaust portion, (part of the up-pipe) I then put my engine hoist with a chain around the turbo compressor and lifted it up from above, and then with the slaphammer and a 20lb weight on it, banged and banged and banged on it downwards from below until it finally pulled free. I had enough pull up on the housing to what seemed like nearly lift the engine out of the bay, and bangin' on it from below before it finally popped free.

Real PITA!!

I'm a sucker for punishment, 'cause I'm about to put it back on with the updated exhaust housing and 3" downpipe...(sigh) when do we ever learn...

Keep at it, bud, it will eventually come apart.

Zigg :)