Truck wont start unless solenoid jumped.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Whoever said its a simple problem. Tilt column, checked all the grounds, even sanded them down. The only thing it does when I jump the relay is go click. Everything is clean, tight and mounted properly. As I stated earlier the starter tested God at O'Reilly's 2 days ago. It is a Powermaster starter I got from summit racing about a year ago

How often do the actual power cables go bad? That doesn't make a lot of sense, but then again... And the cables are fairly new at that.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoever said its a simple problem. Tilt column, checked all the grounds, even sanded them down. The only thing it does when I jump the relay is go click. Everything is clean, tight and mounted properly. As I stated earlier the starter tested God at O'Reilly's 2 days ago. It is a Powermaster starter I got from summit racing about a year ago

How often do the actual power cables go bad? That doesn't make a lot of sense, but then again... And the cables are fairly new at that.

Disregarding the column and it's problems is first on the list, as it's a ****** to deal with.

Thus that also ISOLATES the issue to Batteries, Bat Cables, Solenoid and Starter!

It is very simple procedure of trial and error?

How old are batteries and what state of charge/ what current capacity? Have they been load tested or not?

From what your saying...

SOLENOID! or Batteries....

Just saying...

It's a simple problem if you approach it in a simple manner!

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Then I will get the batteries tested. Although they crank hard when they do. Changed the relay twice both new ones, and starter tested good. So I guess cables or batteries is first to check. Although I would rather just replace cables and batteries at this point and go from there. Since I live in the south can I just go to a one battery setup?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then I will get the batteries tested. Although they crank hard when they do. Changed the relay twice both new ones, and starter tested good. So I guess cables or batteries is first to check. Although I would rather just replace cables and batteries at this point and go from there. Since I live in the south can I just go to a one battery setup?

The simple answer to one battery is yes...it can be done...

However it's NOT recommended, I've used a single to fire a truck on occasion to proof fire it...before a purchase...but I don't recommend a single battery setup.

The loads can be significant and two batteries of equal size/age are best bet.

You said the main cables where replaced recently, whats RECENTLY?

Does grabbing the battery cables and wiggling them have any effect? Are they Green with corrosion? Whats the scoop...pics? Details...

Is the cable the correct size?

Do you have an option to return solenoids?

there are four simple parts that need diagnosing...

(Starter) Checked ok...how about taking it to another spot to check?
(Batteries) Load tested?
(Solenoid) A known good one from another vehicle?????
(Cables) there can be issues where the terminals connect to the battery LUG ends both the single end or the T pass through where it connects to the battery on RH side...Maybe issues in those parts?

IF all those parts check ok...you then must have a problem with the angry Purple fairies that cause all kinds of catastrophic havock and make things impossible to diagnose!

JM2CW

Al

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Problem fixed. It was the starter. Even though it tested good it was bad, so O'Reilly's tester must be quite wrong. A NAPA heavy duty starter was put on along with a new key mechanism installed. Now the turn signal things inside the steering wheel (they are spring loaded things that touch the steering wheel) are making an annoying clicking sound. I believe they are for the cruise control so I may just eliminate them.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the starter and key cylinder replaced at the same time? If so, how did you end up blaming the starter rather than the key cylinder? Or am I missing something here?

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because he was jumping the relay, thus bypassing everything upstream, and it still wouldn't start.

FLAPS starter tests are notoriously bad. They only test if the motor turns when energized, not whether the gear engages properly, or whether the motor is strong enough to actually turn the engine.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Yes they were replaced at the same time. When applied correct direct voltage the starter would turn but it was weak. Thus when o'reilly tested it, it was in their machine so of course its gonna spin out good. Real world is a bit different. And bypassing all the key stuff by jumping the solenoid as the good people here suggested lead me to believe it was the starter. But the key was having major issues as it was.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a non-tilt steering column that I have to push up on in order to get the engine to turn over. Was a real pain in the ass until I figured it out. But I don't think I plan on fixing it, maybe using it as a kind of anti-theft device for if a family member or girlfriend tries to use it without me knowing. Trust me, my brother would rather wreck other's stuff than his own.

And I have purchased bad solenoids. I remember when I was younger I used to just drill out the rivets and clean off the brass disks inside. Ahh, memories of when things were built to be repaired...

brain711

Reaction score
A big THANK YOU to Jaed and everyone else on this thread as I have been troubleshooting a no crank situation.
The tips everyone had here are great and I just wanted to add my own, I had 12v to the relay post on the fender and it would not crank...

Checked all wires
Jumped big posts on fender solenoid and starter cranked.
Replaced fender solenoid - still no crank
Scratched head and ...
jumped small post from positive on battery - no crank
jumped small post on battery with light inline from big wire to starter from fender solenoid - no light no crank

On a whim grounded relay mounting bolt to negative post on battery and it Cranked!

My fender relay was not grounding correctly, adding this for the next poor soul looking for solutions that stumbles on this thread.

Thanks again guys!

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, did it again without checking the OP post date. Why don't people start their own threads when they have a problem. :rolleyes:

Rant over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86