Truck wont start unless solenoid jumped.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Just like it says. I have replaced the solenoid and it still doesnt start. What happens is when I turn the key it will click most of the time. But I know the batteries are good and the solenoid is good. Any help is greatly appreciated. Any questions please contact me so I can clarifiy thkngs. Thank you.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
so if you jump the two bigger terminals the truck rolls over?

If so

there are three posts on the solenoid the bigger are the hot wires and the smaller is the key on, pull that key on off and there should be 12 volts hot coming to it when the key is turned, If there is 12 volts coming to the key on and the truck doesnt roll over when it is connected good. but the truck rolls over fine when you jump the large terminals together then the solenoid is at fault. check to make sure the problem isn't intermittant ie the truck constantly turns over when solenoid is jumped, I would disconnect the fss while you are troubleshooting so you arent constantly cranking and dying

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the silinoid clicks this usualys means its working and contacting sending power to the starter ,sounds to me like the starter going ,next time it does not start have someone hold the key to start reach under with a hammer and whack the starter ,or whack the starter and try again

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I will try the hammer trick first. Then if that don't work I will move into 12V to the small terminal. Also what is the likelihood of a new solenoid being bad? Also note I had a bad leak from a tranny cooler line that put fluid all underneath the engine.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I have just had another non-start episode twice in a row. Now it wont start at all. I have jumped everything I could, whacked the starter with a hammer (PowerMaster that tested good) and all it does when I hold up on the steering wheel is click at most. I have tried every configuration of key position with jumping and still nothing. So I had to call in late for work. I have also cleaned every terminal and wire end for this thing. Any help is of great appreciation. Otherwise this thing is going to the shop. And if its not a simple fix, I am getting another truck.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have a bad cable running to the starter. To rule out the starter as the issue can take take a pair of the heaviest gauge jumper cables and hook one clamp end up to where the wire from the solenoid meets the starter. MAKE SURE IT TOUCHES NOTHING ELSE METAL!!!!!!!!!!! Take the other lead and touch it to you positive battery post. If the engine rolls over your issue is before the starter. To check for a bad cable take a multimeter and set it to read resistance, check the cable between the starter and solenoid. If you do not have a meter take the jumper cable and hook it to the starter cable side of the solenoid and the starter, trigger the solenoid either by key or a 12V jumper, if it fires you have a bad cable.

sassyrel

Reaction score
if the silinoid clicks this usualys means its working and contacting sending power to the starter

mmmmmm, NO!!! sometimes,,the contacts on the inside,,are so burnt,,no current passes thru,,or some current will,,but near no AMPERAGE..this happens over a period of time..

sassyrel

Reaction score
I have just had another non-start episode twice in a row. Now it wont start at all. I have jumped everything I could, whacked the starter with a hammer (PowerMaster that tested good) and all it does when I hold up on the steering wheel is click at most. I have tried every configuration of key position with jumping and still nothing. So I had to call in late for work. I have also cleaned every terminal and wire end for this thing. Any help is of great appreciation. Otherwise this thing is going to the shop. And if its not a simple fix, I am getting another truck.

the solenoids,,on top of the starter,,are somewhat known, to go **** up.....

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How old is the starter? Situation seems to be getting simpler, not more complicated, and it appears to be focusing on a failed starter.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
The starter is only about a year old. I know that inside the steering column has problems otherwise I wouldn't have to lift up on the steering wheel.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If this simple problem is all it takes to defeat you, buy another truck. Preferably one with a warranty. Old trucks will have problems. Then again, so do new trucks.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The starter is only about a year old. I know that inside the steering column has problems otherwise I wouldn't have to lift up on the steering wheel.

Hmm..

Is this a TILT column or NON tilt Colum?

So does this truck start or turn over when you jump the solenoid on the fender?

Have you checked all the grounds and battery connections for good clean contact?

Are batteries in good condition and have a good charge?

Is the fender mounted solenoid hanging there or is it properly grounded via mounting to fender?

If you (on fender solenoid) jump from small terminal to the large terminal that leads to starter does it turn over?

Are the connections on the Starter good clean and tight?

Have you removed the starter and taken it in for testing?

How about a rebuild kit for STARTER SOLENOID? Or is starter under warranty?

TOO many questions....not enough info...

Help us help you

JM2CW

Al

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you jumper the RELAY on the fender, you're taking:
* the key switch
* any wiring in the column
* clutch or tranny neutral switch
* the relay itself
out of the picture. So if it's still not starting, the problem is DOWNSTREAM of that point. As said, it's either the main cables or the starter, or connections.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online