Replacing Fuel Shutoff Solenoid Glow Plug Started Smoking

idiambulance

Reaction score
I replaced my fuel shutoff solenoid today. I replaced the rubber washers that go around the screw to protect it from contacting the housing. I also replaced the washers on the outside with a new set of neoprene washers. As a precheck i connected the back wire on permanently. I then turned on the ignition key and tapped the front wire to the power connector to make sure the solenoid could move. I heard a click from the solenoid but immediately after I saw a small amount of smoke coming from the part in the picture below. The yellow wire at the arrow was warm to the touch. What could I have done wrong and what part is it that lost a little of its smoke and any suggestions what to do next. The wires were disconnected when I got it so my only thought is I might have wired those two pins backwards.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
That's your glow plug relay/controller. 87 6.9 has the 7.3 style. Diagram for wires to it and info here:

idiambulance

Reaction score
That's your glow plug relay/controller. 87 6.9 has the 7.3 style. Diagram for wires to it and info here:

Thank you soo much this is great info. Im gonna read through it now. What could have caused that to smoke when I was tested the solenoid. This is my first vehicle ive ever worked on so im real hard into the learning curve here.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Thank you soo much this is great info. Im gonna read through it now. What could have caused that to smoke when I was tested the solenoid. This is my first vehicle ive ever worked on so im real hard into the learning curve here.

Hard to say, poor connection maybe? Double check that the wires are correct, first of all. If they are wrong, you might have burned out a fusible link (a type of wire that burns itself out similar to a fuse)

idiambulance

Reaction score
Hard to say, poor connection maybe? Double check that the wires are correct, first of all. If they are wrong, you might have burned out a fusible link (a type of wire that burns itself out similar to a fuse)

I found a wiring diagram and I may have hooked up the wire for the fuel shutoff solenoid and the cold advance solenoid into the each other the wrong direction. I was thinking about just disconnecting both of them and turning the ignition on see if I still get the glow plugs to kick then try wiring it the "right" way see what happens. I wonder if theres any danger to taking that route to see what I get.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7