truck smoking at idle and low speed

deadeyeb

Reaction score
my truck has 110000 miles and is starting to give me some troubles with smoke at start up and idle. now it even smokes at cruising speed . the smoke at start up is white and the smoke at idle even when warm is gray black. how many miles can you expect out of the stock pump and injectors. when I get on the gas the smoke clears,could this be a dirty or bad injector. the truck only sees towing duty on weekends with a 10000 pound trailer and usually gets parked for the winter. any help would be appreciated thanks.

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
my truck has about 97000 miles on it and is starting to do that also.... i have decided to replace the injectors first and see if that makes a difference. are you putting any kind of additive in with ur fuel? do u have a turbo set up on there also? when i added a turbo to mine i got a lil bit more smoke. injector pumps arent very cheap but if you need one i would recommend pensecola diesel company ... there price is around 375 or so ... hope everything works out for you.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree, the service life on the pump and injectors is 100K, that's if you take care of 'em, fuel additives, keeping the return lines and "O" rings in good shape.

I would (because you don't have a fuel pressure gauge to see what the pump is doing) go along with onetonride, and check out Oregon Injector Service at:

http://www.o-f-i.com/index.php?page=sec/exchange_pumps_injectors.htm

They have good prices and great customer service. I got my injectors there.

Also, just for preventive messure, check to make sure your return lines, or injectors are not wet (even a little bit), which may show leaking, sucking air, etc., sometimes this can effect the pump if the pump (and/or injectors) are going.

Let us know what you find.

Marq
______________________________________________-
1990 Ford F-250 4X4:
7.3 IDI with 120K on the clock:
ATS Turbo with waste gate:
Stage One Injectors (Oregon Injector Service):
Complete Return Fuel Kit (Oregon Injector Service):
DB2 Pump, cranked up with Cold Advance wired permanently on:
4” down pipe, 4” straight through exhaust stopping between cab and bed (no fuff on my stuff):
Torque Converter Lock Up Switch (On/Off/Lock-Up):
E4OD Line Pressure Controller (adjusted to fast/firm shifts):
4” lift w/Rancho shocks:
Big Fat Tires on custom rims:

Tows 1985 fully loaded heavy 28 foot RV (my house) everywhere:

deadeyeb

Reaction score
it does have a turbo and no i don't use any additives, could that be the problem. when the truck is under load it doesn't smoke but as soon as you get off the gas it starts to smoke and seems like it misses. could some fuel additive help with cleaning it up a little. the truck also has a intercooler on it.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run an aditive about every other tank. I want to keep the injectors and pump in great shape. According to the manuel, and other materials, the service life of these parts is about 100k under normal conditions. I figure, I will use aditives, change the fuel filter on schedule, and drain the water at least once a month. I know the aditives helps clean the injectors. I would run a rich ratio (a lot more than what ever the bottles says), and go out and run it a bit hard for 25 miles or so, to get the lead out!!

Let us know how things transpire, . . .

Marq
Stage One Injectors (Oregon Injector Service):
Complete Return Fuel Kit (Oregon Injector Service):
DB2 Pump, cranked up with Cold Advance wired permanently on:
4” down pipe, 4” straight through exhaust stopping between cab and bed (no **** on my stuff):
Torque Converter Lock Up Switch (On/Off/Lock-Up):
E4OD Line Pressure Controller (adjusted to fast/firm shifts):
4” lift w/Rancho shocks:
Big Fat Tires on custom rims:

Tows 1985 fully loaded heavy 28 foot RV (my house) everywhere:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on the description of your problem, I'd say it's 99% probable that your injectors are shot. Get the old ones pop tested to confirm, and get the new ones pop tested so you're not guessing what your putting in.

deadeyeb

Reaction score
well towed the race trailer yesterday and I poured 1/2 a gallon in each tank of the lucas fuel treatment . ran like crap for a little while but started clearing up . by the time I got home that night the truck was not smoking anymore at idle and didn't smell like an oil truck. I think this winter I'm going to replace the injectors and maybe have the turbo rebuilt. I can't get anymore than 6-7 pounds of boost with my inter cooler.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online