Truck repair saga, semi-carnage pics

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Well guys i got one project done with no mishaps! Got my Bilstien shocks on, with no major hassle or problems. whoohoo! Also, good news my parts will be in tomorrow, lots of pics of goodies!

And i got two special deliveries from two forum members which include two like new fuel tank pick-ups/sending units and a set of proper working seatbelts! No more getting strangled...

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
I got my parts today. First is the starter solenoid/relay, found one that has the right lenght studs, Napa/Echlin part ST404. I tried what CRYAZN suggested and it came up with nothing at the local parts houses. I also have a BWD part number but i lost the slip at the moment. The other is a new vacuum pulley. I wont post part numbers till i confirm it'll work but i think i found a readibly available replacement pulley.

Tomorrow im gunna try to get the pulley on and rear tank in! Lets hope nothing gets *****'d! Also thinking about doing the Facut e-pump as well.

Last edited:

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I got my parts today. First is the starter solenoid/relay, found one that has the right lenght studs, Napa/Echlin part ST404. I tried what CRYAZN suggested and it came up with nothing at the local parts houses. I also have a BWD part number but i lost the slip at the moment. The other is a new vacuum pulley. I wont post part numbers till i confirm it'll work but i think i found a readibly available replacement pulley.

Tomorrow im gunna try to get the pulley on and rear tank in! Lets hope nothing gets *****'d! Also thinking about doing the Facut e-pump as well.

Thats funny, SS94Z in GP Sorensen and ST404 echlin are the same parts. They are a direct interchange in my catalog, along with S5049HD as the BWD number.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Ok, finally got back to working on my pig after a little period of time off for some personal issues. Made some great progress today and then, as usual, took a few steps backwards. I put the shocks on earlier in the week, which were Bilstien HD shocks:
You must be registered for see images attach

First, for the good. Got the vacuum pump pulley on. Part number Dorman 300-701 (about $50). Slightly different than stock, but it worked like a charm.

Then i got the vacuum pump and altnerator on. 3G swap FTW.

Then i got all the belts on, new power brake hose on, finished up the wiring on the 3G, new starter solenoid, and sinched up the battery cables. I ran the alt charge wire directly to the battery, then another wire from the battery to the starter solenoid.

Then i moved on to the fuel tank and pick up. Used some 3/8" fuel line and a 90* brass fitting to make this:

Inside pic of the pick up in the tank:

And put a new plastic vent fitting. This was threaded on the end that goes into the groument, which fit perfectly with a 3/8" barbed end.

Now for the bad, fired up the truck which started up pretty quickly considering i had some of the return lines off to route the GP power wire. Checked the belts, found the alt belt flopping like a fish outta water. Turned it off and snugged it up. Fired it up again, no slop yay! check charge voltage @ both batteries, mega fuse and starter solenoid and they all were 14.6V. Then i loaded it down with the defoster and high beams, still charging @ 14.6V. While checking over everything i noticed on the #1 injector air bubbles coming out from the base of the injector through some left over fuel that spilled down the injector hole. SUMMABITCH! Looks like now i have to pull at least that injector and install a new copper washer, but i might as well do them all for good measure.

So there ya have it...Opti's law. Three steps forward and two steps backwards!!! Unfriggen bleilievable! Might as well put new return like kit on from Russ now that he has em back in stock. Still debating the Facet e-pump...

Last edited:

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
When i pull the injectors out tomorrow for new copper washers, is it ok to use a wire wheel on my grinder to clean the tips of the injectors of any carbon build up?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
I dont even know why im updating this, no one seems to rear or care about it but here it goes.

Went to get everything sorted to drop the rear tank in and the $%@%$#^ connectors to clip onto the sending unit broke. What a major pain in the balls to put the new ones on.

Came to a conclusion, after i get the major things finished this pig is goin FOR SALE. Cant take it anymore, dont have the money to dump into a clapped out pile, nor the modivation/ambition and time is running out to work on it in my garage.

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont even know why im updating this, no one seems to rear or care about it but here it goes.

Went to get everything sorted to drop the rear tank in and the $%@%$#^ connectors to clip onto the sending unit broke. What a major pain in the balls to put the new ones on.

Came to a conclusion, after i get the major things finished this pig is goin FOR SALE. Cant take it anymore, dont have the money to dump into a clapped out pile, nor the modivation/ambition and time is running out to work on it in my garage.

Don't say that man, just remember its an old(er) truck and things will break when you go messing with brittle parts that have been subjected to the elements for almost 24 years. It looks like youve got a pretty solid rig there, just in need of some lovin' after a long life of working hard. Trust me, you would much rather be throwing dough into a workhorse like that than going broke trying to put a poorly-maintained Super-Duty back together for reliable service again. (Ask me how I know...........)
You seem to have cared enough for the truck by investing in premium parts to maintain/upgrade it with, if you sell it you will be taking a loss on some nice pieces you have there that somebody else will get to enjoy at your loss/expense.
I've bought alot of vehicles in my time that people gave up on that i got for a song, and put back together with VERY little time and money. Rule of thumb though- usually when someone gives up on something, its the next guy that comes along and sees how close to finished it is, or what it needs, and reaps the benefits of all your hard work.

Sorry for the ramble- but if you decide to sell it, PM me.;Really Does it have any rust?

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya your in the same boat as me, i've spent much more than my truck is worth.. Id probly be hard pressed to get 3,500 for my truck and it's rust free now.. All together i have about 5,000 in it so far and to me it was worth it, but to the next guy like i said probly worth about 3'500 or so...

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
before you start pulling the injectors out try just snugging them up to 35 ft lbs. i think there are a few like me who are enjoying the pics reading through but might not have much to say. there are several builds/rebuilds i liked to follow but didnt post much on or even at all. this includes Buffalos thread on his truck.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm enjoying your progress, I'm going to use your pictures to clean up the power in my engine bay - I've got more electrician's twist caps holding random **** together I'm surprised nothing has caught fire yet :O

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Thanks for the support, i have to give this some serious thought. Its not that i really wanna get rid of it, but my finical situation isnt the best now and i cant keep putting money into it ATM. Obviously i was/am frustrated with how things are going and i know this is how things go (i practically rebuilt my 93, same issues with that also). But i like to do things right, and am a perfectionist so its hard to try to make things right when it all fails LOL.

Jred, i think i will give them a retorque and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

KlyeQ, definatly get that wiring fixed...dont need to see a fire happen!