Truck regestration

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Yesterday i bought two trucks.
97 F-superduty PSD 5 speed
99 F550 PSD 6 speed 4x4

I am prob goin to sell the 97 but would like the F550 for a tow rig. Can i register it just to have passenger car plates w a high GVW or does a550 have to get commercial tags?

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont know the laws where you live are but if its for personnal use you dont have to register it for commercial. i know a few people around here that have there own rollback that have regular plates, but they put "not for hire" on the doors.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
dont know the laws where you live are but if its for personnal use you dont have to register it for commercial. i know a few people around here that have there own rollback that have regular plates, but they put "not for hire" on the doors.

Hell, that would work for me.

Anyone in PA?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
based on the vin it is a incomplete vehicle.
you will not have to go comercial plates, but it will need registered at its gvw.
as for insurance that is where it could be trouble

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the folks at Brimmer's title and tag told me, was that PA determines if something gets car tags based on if it has a bed or not. Even though the Excursion would be a Class III truck if it had a bed, since it has seats PA considers it a car. It actually says passenger car on the registration. :rotflmao

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
What the folks at Brimmer's title and tag told me, was that PA determines if something gets car tags based on if it has a bed or not. Even though the Excursion would be a Class III truck if it had a bed, since it has seats PA considers it a car. It actually says passenger car on the registration. :rotflmao

O i'm sorry Mel. I should have been clearer. I will register it as a Truck but was wondering if I have to register it as a Commercial Vehicle. I cant say I have ever seen a NON commercial F550

In NJ any SUV was classafied as a station wagon and got car plates

aaklingler

Reaction score
when you get it licensed it doesn't matter what its for. You just have to decide what weight class, gvw of the truck + gvw of the trailer, but if thats over 26k i think you would need a cdl A to drive it.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here in my dump of a state anything with dual wheels has to have commercial plates and insurance.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I'm in MD but I looked at a 550 a few years back & could tag it as a non commercial vehicle but the insurance company wouldn't insure it as such. Finance company wouldn't loan on it either unless under a business name. Insurance i think goes by the vehicle designation, ie. 250, 350, 450, 550. Big trouble......:mad:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
when you get it licensed it doesn't matter what its for. You just have to decide what weight class, gvw of the truck + gvw of the trailer, but if thats over 26k i think you would need a cdl A to drive it.

Technically need a B license for over 26k
Only need a class A if you are towing a trailer more than 10,000lbs

And i Have my A CDL anyway so no big deal

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I had a f350 once, it was a cab and chassis truck based on the VIN, was gonna tow trailers with it, so I registered it at 25k combi, cost damn near 500 and had to do a semi anual inspection, no problems with the state, but then went for insurance and had to have a commercila policy thats where it cost. only kept the truck 6 mo.
Dad ran into insurance trouble on his 1 ton dump truck, one company wanted big bucks, then the next didnt.

But back to the original question, plates in pa are not devided to comercial/ non comercial, just the weight class of the truck

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I had a f350 once, it was a cab and chassis truck based on the VIN, was gonna tow trailers with it, so I registered it at 25k combi, cost damn near 500 and had to do a semi anual inspection, no problems with the state, but then went for insurance and had to have a commercila policy thats where it cost. only kept the truck 6 mo.
Dad ran into insurance trouble on his 1 ton dump truck, one company wanted big bucks, then the next didnt.

But back to the original question, plates in pa are not devided to comercial/ non comercial, just the weight class of the truck

Yeah i found that out. Liability for the 96 is 740 a year!:eek:
And reg for 21-26k is $405 a year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhill5353

Members online