Truck in Shop......idiot drivers

DragRag

Reaction score
They always have for me. Maybe it's different in your state. I have never had an insurance job completed myself. I have done this 3 times.

sassyrel

Reaction score
me thinks their pulling trash on ya--they should total it--thats why i said find someone that knew what your truck was like before hit--esp with the new trans--so would get top dollar--not the bs they give ya--ins commissioner--too bad you dont know a good honest body man there--he could walk you thru it---tooo long to type out--

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with the adjuster (This guy has his own company and has been hired by the insurance company) and he says that the repair costs are going to be over the 50% mark. So now its in the hands of my insurance company to decide if they want to fix or repair it. What will put it over the edge is the glove compartment latch broke during the accident and the whole dash will need to be replaced. It is now apparent that a JB weld fix was done on the latch at some point in the past and the accident jarred it loose. So I am not certain whether they will JB wled the latch back in place or replace the whole dash. That will be the deciding factor in whether or not its totaled.

Anyhow.....more wait and see since the guy is still working up numbers to give the insurance company.

Thanks
Thad

discbrks

Reaction score
I'm coming into this a little late... I'm an adjuster for a body shop in Georgia. I can tell you all about this process. So, my guess is that you were found at fault in this accident? Who's your insurance company?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Naw, I wouldn't think Dakota would be at fault here. Someone tried to cut in front of him to make a left turn and pulled into the lane he was maintaining....POW...the other car got hit on the passenger side IIRC.

The way I would look at it is, the truck wasn't smashed before that SUV pulled a bonehead move. She paid for insurance incase she did something dumb like that. The insurance company makes billions of dollars per YEAR off situations like they are trying to pull here. When all was said and done the truck will be in the same shape it was before the accident, case closed.

It's not your fault that someone caused a little damage to your otherwise relaible truck. If they write it off, and you choose not to buy it back..who knows what kind of problems you will get into with another truck....and the insurance company won't pay for that either!!

They said the damage was over 50% of the truck's value? What was it appraised at before the smash up?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I might be mistaken but don't the 92-97 Ford trucks have a crumple zone in the front frame rails right behind the front bumper?

If they do you might need to have those pulled out/repaired on a frame rack. Besides that it looks like a pretty simple repair job.

I think the 1/2 tons did, but where the crumple zone is on the 4x4 frames is where the front spring hanger/shackle goes through the frame. I don't think there is a crumple zone on the 3/4 and up trucks because of this....at least not the 4x4's.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
discbrks

Goofy is right. The other driver was found at fault and given a citation for failure to yeild (I believe).

Goofy,

The guy appraised it at $6K. The parts and labor came to just below $3K. Then he realized the glove compartment was broke due to the accident and any work done to repair that would put it over the 50% mark, mostly likely. He is going to figure out today and get back to me and my insurance company. Then my insurance company is going to sit on it and figure out if they want to repair it or not.....just a big waiting game!!!

Also, your point about buying an unknown truck is well taken. I hate not knowing what I am getting into!!!!

Thad

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Mind me asking what all was damaged on the truck? I kow it don't take a lot to add up to $3000...but are they adding a high mark up on the truck parts?

I bought both front fenders for my truck for $160 out the door.

I think my buddy over at the parts place quoted me $140 for the same chrome front bumper that you have there.

That's $300 in parts you most likely don't even need, the fenders anyways.

The labour is what is going to kill you! I know you don't have a heated shop, but is there an option of taking their settlement, buying the parts you need (which MIGHT cost $500 plus color matching the panels to your current body color) parking the truck until spring? Or perhaps getting it functional now and making it pretty when your hands won't freeze to the fenders?

Dealing with insurance companies SUCKS. They litterally take your money, and when it comes time to pay out, they are hard to get cash from!! I had an incident plowing a driveway with my own truck where I bumped into a piece of siding...littterally just cracked a piece of J-channel. The insurance company told me I caused $1600 worth of damage....expensive siding. They then jacked my rates up to over $5000 a year, even though I am a professional driver with NOTHING on my record except for 2 overweight tickets from 3 years ago. How fair is that! I went from paying $135 a month to almost $460 a month.

They will try and screw you out of the money, truck and anything you are entitled to if they can get away with it!

sassyrel

Reaction score
Mind me asking what all was damaged on the truck? I kow it don't take a lot to add up to $3000...but are they adding a high mark up on the truck parts?

I bought both front fenders for my truck for $160 out the door.

I think my buddy over at the parts place quoted me $140 for the same chrome front bumper that you have there.

That's $300 in parts you most likely don't even need, the fenders anyways.

The labour is what is going to kill you! I know you don't have a heated shop, but is there an option of taking their settlement, buying the parts you need (which MIGHT cost $500 plus color matching the panels to your current body color) parking the truck until spring? Or perhaps getting it functional now and making it pretty when your hands won't freeze to the fenders?

Dealing with insurance companies SUCKS. They litterally take your money, and when it comes time to pay out, they are hard to get cash from!! I had an incident plowing a driveway with my own truck where I bumped into a piece of siding...littterally just cracked a piece of J-channel. The insurance company told me I caused $1600 worth of damage....expensive siding. They then jacked my rates up to over $5000 a year, even though I am a professional driver with NOTHING on my record except for 2 overweight tickets from 3 years ago. How fair is that! I went from paying $135 a month to almost $460 a month.

They will try and screw you out of the money, truck and anything you are entitled to if they can get away with it!
the truth,and i sure wish i was where he was physically--to walk him thru it--even buying a torpedo space heater--to aim right at him--just need 110v, and do as much as possible outside--and jumping the hoses for the trans--dont need in winter anywho--drivers----

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
discbrks

Goofy is right. The other driver was found at fault and given a citation for failure to yeild (I believe).

Goofy,

The guy appraised it at $6K. The parts and labor came to just below $3K. Then he realized the glove compartment was broke due to the accident and any work done to repair that would put it over the 50% mark, mostly likely. He is going to figure out today and get back to me and my insurance company. Then my insurance company is going to sit on it and figure out if they want to repair it or not.....just a big waiting game!!!

Also, your point about buying an unknown truck is well taken. I hate not knowing what I am getting into!!!!

Thad

Why is your insurance paying for the repairs if the other driver was found at fault?
It should be their insurance paying to repair your truck.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
WOW! Pretty sure that you guys just called my a pansy!!!

Anyhow. Yes the other company will pay the costs but my company is going ahead to push this forward so that I can get home and not wait around forever for the other company!!!

Right now I am content with letting someone else do the main portions to make it driveable and then I plan on doing the easy fixes when I get home. Right now I am waiting for the green light (CASH) to fix this thing.

Honestly though I would rather spend my vacation with family instead of out in the cold working on my truck. Not to mention it would take me longer and wouldnt be comfortable, to do the work myself.....and time isnt on my side. If this had happened at home in KS, this would be a much different discussion!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you guys are more impatient than I am!!! And I am the one who needs to be at work.

Thanks guys
Thad

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I didn't mean to come off as calling you a pansy lol...TRUST me, here in Nova Scotia it gets COLD and if I don't HAVE to do anything to the truck...it don't get done!! lol

I'm sick as hell right now and I have to go take the batteries out of her this morning and bring them inside to charge them....It is going to SUCK but I need her to start tomorrow morning to go plowing (another 30 hour strom? Most likely!)

It's good that your insurance company is working with you like that, most would just let the other company take their time and let them pay out the damages.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
The shop is doing all the work. They have the parts on order.

I on the other hand am going ice fishing and not going to think about trucks for awhile!!!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Thad

sassyrel

Reaction score
The shop is doing all the work. They have the parts on order.

I on the other hand am going ice fishing and not going to think about trucks for awhile!!!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Thad

with the trouble youve had with the ins co--make sure to check the thickness of the ice-------------------------:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online