Truck accelerates on rear tank.

DontKnowJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cruising @55, both tanks full. Running on rear tank truck will accelerate for 1/2 a second. Like throwing a gas rag on the intake. Does it every half mile. Switch to front tank and it's fine. If it's sucking air, how does that make the engine rev-up? I parked on a clean slab last night and didn't see any fuel leaks, just oil.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its sucking air, the case pressure in the pump changes and messes up the timing.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either sucking air, or straining for fuel. When the Moose Truck was new, I bought it in July, but this problem turned up in the cold of winter. What I found, was that from the factory, the rubber hose (yes, it had rubber hose going to a metal line for about 1') was bent at a severe angle. The resulting "kink" would allow warm fuel to flow, but restrict the thicker cold fuel. You might check for something similar.

DontKnowJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since it only does it on the rear tank, can I assume that it is sucking air between the rear tank and the tank switch?

I just got out from under it and that line is dry as a bone. Shouldn't it be wet somewhere?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
air passes more easily that fuel so you can be pulling air into the system and not letting fuel out. you usually see some leaking but not always.

DontKnowJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh crap! I changed the pick-up line on that tank 3 weeks ago. Pulled out pieces of the "shower head". Felt around in there as far as I could reach. Didn't drop tank, went through the bed. I've burned a couple tankfuls on that tank without issue but there were probably pieces in there I didn't get out. Guess I'll have to drop it this time so I can turn it on it's head. I can't wait.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
It is essential to get ALL the pieces out. What did you replace the showerhead with?

Thad

DontKnowJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is essential to get ALL the pieces out. What did you replace the showerhead with?

Thad

Three inches of rubber fuel line. I plan to take it back out and add about 4 inches of stainless screen, cylindrical shaped, clamped to the hose end. So, if a piece or two of the showerhead stick to the screen it's ok. There's no way there is enough plastic in there to clog 4 inches of screen. I got most of it out the first time. May be the weekend but I'll post a pic before I put it on for review.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
My front tank gauge doesnt work so I run it first. I usually switch it over in time but sometimes I forget and right before I run out she runs like a ***** ape.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put an inline filter just before the FSV on that tank to catch any debris, plastic pieces can screw up the FSV if it gets hung up in there. Do that just temp until you drop the tank. $3.89 at Azone. There 3/8" in out.

Attachments

• DVC01521.JPG
    DVC01521.JPG
    281.9 KB · Views: 3

gatorman21218

Reaction score
True, but a solid minute of cranking to prime the other tank when you run out at a red light makes people angry.

DontKnowJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, but a solid minute of cranking to prime the other tank when you run out at a red light makes people angry.

I'm 17 miles from the nearest red-light. The last time I ran out of fuel was at an intersection a mile from home. I had 2 offers to pull me home and another guy stopped and helped me bleed the lines. It's nice living in the country!

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I know it. Ashland is a small town but I-95 runs right through it. Its safe to say those people who are honking at me are the same people who make a right into the taco bell from the far left hand lane because they are focused on their map.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle