Trouble fueling up because of flatbed

HicksNthaStix

Reaction score
When I fuel up I have issues with for spilling out the filling port. The filler hose runs across the top of a toolbox and is about 30" long before it takes a 90 degree turn into the tank. Undoubtedly, the long flat run of filler hose is the culprit but there is no way to route it differently or give it any angle. I've talked to a couple of people who have ran into issues lot these on flatbeds. Is there any kind of check valve or backflow preventer that will make filling up easier? Currently I just have to pump really slow.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might be able to vent the tank more and have it help but I'm not sure how much. If the 30" run is pretty flat you might just be stuck filling slow. If the problem is backflow because of a vent issue you can enlarge the vent on the tank to help. The hole in the tank for the vent is like 1" diameter but the vent hose is only like 3/8 or something tiny like that.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the flat spot is getting you I'd try getting it to vent more and if it still won't fill fast can you add any more vertical height to it to help push past the flat on my flat bed I put the filler in my headache rack about mid window and it fills fast

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Do the new style vent. (Not that double layer hose within a hose bullcrap) plus run the filler higher. Can you put a trap door in the bed floor? Or run it up by the headache rack?
Also get you a good wood block to drive the rear LH tires up on.
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who had the filler incorporated in the rub rail and rack???

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Sometimes I have to do this even with a regular bed. Some parking lots are sloped by their pumps too. When they are, I try to park with the driver's side uphill. Even a little bit can make a pretty big difference.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2x4 88 was just a pita to fuel, the 93 is much better, still gotta nurse it...
Cannot lock the filler nozzel and walk away.

HicksNthaStix

Reaction score

I've thought about that and may just wind up doing it, for now anyway. I'm going to try a bigger vent hose as well. The little hose has already been removed.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the new style vent. (Not that double layer hose within a hose bullcrap) plus run the filler higher. Can you put a trap door in the bed floor? Or run it up by the headache rack?
This is what I was going to suggest, trapdoor in the bed floor would be ideal, I’d think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HicksNthaStix

Reaction score
Just dont get caught needing fuel with a pallet/load on top of the door or you're screwed!:confused:

That's been my main reason not to. I bought this truck to haul heavy loads short distances so it likely wouldn't be an issue. That said, I hate to limit myself intentionally. I think that I could use a T connector and maintain the current filler and add one to the bed as well.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There can be two reasons for the hard filling;

1. The fuel is backing up in the hose or

2. The air coming out of the tank as you are filling is making the fuel splash and back-up into the station nozzle.

Taking the roll-over valve out and putting a fitting in the grommet and putting a large vent hose on top of the tank should take car of any air/gulping problems. Don't know how you can fix fuel backing up in the hose if the hose is too flat.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There can be two reasons for the hard filling;

1. The fuel is backing up in the hose or

2. The air coming out of the tank as you are filling is making the fuel splash and back-up into the station nozzle.

Taking the roll-over valve out and putting a fitting in the grommet and putting a large vent hose on top of the tank should take car of any air/gulping problems. Don't know how you can fix fuel backing up in the hose if the hose is too flat.

If he has the vertical height it will push/ siphon into the tank as long as the vent is good

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online