transplant 87 6.,2 into 77 f-250 4x4

tmbrhg

Reaction score
getting 5.5 mpg in the 400. would like that 18+ mpg in my wood truck. has anyone tried it?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I am aware of, you would be the first.
It shouldn't be too difficult, the 6.2/6.5 motors are the "smallest" of the 3 motors....IH, Cummins, DDA.
keep us posted and take lotsa pics.;Sweet

460429_freak

Crazy about diesels
Reaction score
well is your 77 a highboy? (seperated t-case) or a married t-case(77.5) if it is a highboy then all you have to do is set the 6.2 with a chevy tranny in there and hook up the drive shaft but if it is a married t-case you will run into problems.. for one the out put shaft in on the wrong side for the front end so you will have to switch your truck over to the seperated t-case and if you have to do that work you are better off to slap a 6.9/7.3 in there at least then you t-case may bolt up...

as far as motor the 6.9 is a heavy duty engine it will take more abuse than the 6.2 (over rev's lugging ect) but won't get as good milage as the 6.2 meduim duty motor... my 6.9 got about 16-18 but it has no OD(but I have turbo) and runs 2300 rpm (should be 1800 or less) I dont belive my 6.2 could handle that for the last 6 months that I punished that ford...

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Is your 77 a manual, or auto? If you have a manual, you may be able to use a GM bellhousing, and re-drill to match the Ford tranny. That would ease the headache of trying to mate a GM tranny to a Ford t-case. Unless you are lucky enough to have a divorced unit.
A Gm flywheel, and clutch cover, with a Ford clutch disc(Maybe not. Are Ford tranny's 1 1/8" 10-spline input?), and probably a special pilot bushing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online