Transmission Swap

which setup?

• Total voters

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Here is a GV setup for a BW Transfer Case. Not sure what T-Case you have but check it out anyway.

http://albany.craigslist.org/pts/2413369835.html

One thing to remember, the GV will bring your highway RPMS down my 500.

albany craigslist > for sale / wanted > auto parts

Gear Vendors Overdrive - $1200 (Corinth)
Date: 2011-05-31, 5:35PM EDT
Reply to: see below [Errors when replying to ads?]
Gear Vendors Overdrive with 1356 Adapter. All wiring and control box included.

1200 OBO - seven 9 6 - nine 8 nine 2

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2413369835

zrexryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
c6 + GV , I like the rock solid reliablity of the c6, +parts are cheap and everywhere, now put a gv behind it, golden.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I say a ranger and a gas/wide ratio T19, it will split the gears almost perfectly and be reliable. Or a ZF5. The E4OD is a great transmission when working properly and a complete ***** whenever something goes wrong.
P.S. Gas ratio T19 with ranger:
1st 6.32
Over 4.61
2nd 3.09
Over 2.26
3rd 1.69
Over 1.23
4th 1.0
Over 0.73

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you see my post,...?^^^^

I did see that but its too far away. I like to do big purchases in person. Thanks tho

I am still continuing my research, I was told I cant actually use a 4R100 because the bolt pattern was different on a powerstroke but I thought it was the same? Anyone know for sure? Cause I thought folks here have taken a ZF from behind a powerstroke and used it behind an IDI.

I honestly like the durability of the manual and I would like to keep it but I live in the city and it sucks bigtime with all the stop and go I do every day.

Still deciding....

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bauman setup alone will run you ~$600, and you WILL need to have both driveshafts changed since the E4OD is a fairly long transmission (internally, you could call it a cybernetic C6 with an overdrive section implanted on the front).

Once you get the shift linkage, computer, wiring harness, and driveshafts ready for your E4OD/4R100, it doesn't leave much left for a well built transmission. Since I see you are running a proper turbocharger setup and may not be afraid to use it (Rightly so!!), I would advise against skimping on that area since a stock E4OD is reliable behind a stock engine. Although IMO, it would be asking a bit much for a ZF to hold up for a long period of time behind a well setup turbo IDI, but I've never owned one, so take that for what its worth.

Were it up to me, I would still go with the E4OD or 4R100 even if you can't stay under $2000.

A few reasons for that are:
You can make it shift ANY way you like with the baumannator setup.
You have a taller overdrive ratio than a ZF5 or gear splitter (unless you find one with a 30% ratio, which AFAIK are rare)
You have a locking torque converter (which a C6/GV combo could never offer you)

I've never driven a T18/T19 truck, but I have driven a ZF once. The stock setup with the DMF might be quiet, but I found the clutch to be rather heavy for my taste and would likely tire quickly if I had to drive such a truck in stop and go traffic. Once the SMF was installed, the clutch was much more forgiving but gear rollover noise is noticeable anywhere under 1500 RPM (this was on a powerstroke). It sounded like a cement mixer full of submerged bolts were rolling over under the floor. It wasn't loud, but it did sound "ill" if that sort of thing bothers you. Supposedly, it doesn't harm the transmission.

After swapping from a C6 to an E4OD, I would rebuild that basterd every other year if I had to. I could never go back to a 3 speed slusher and I'm not sure if I could put up with shifting my own gears in my main work vehicle.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
T18/19 is about as solid as they come. I'd go with the T19+ aux. o/d if you can. You could also consider a DNE2 O/D if you can still find one. They're allegedly pretty tough to break. You just have to make sure you get an O/D and not a U/drive. I like the idea of the Ranger III O/D if you don't mind shifting. You won't need all those gears on your daily commute but I like the very aggressive O/D and the 8 gear choices.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My vote goes for the ZF, when replacing a T19, it is pretty much a direct swap. You CAN even keep the 6.9 flywheel, it has been done. You can use the T19 pressure plate with a sprung ZF disc. I know at least one of our members has done it. Driveshafts require no modifications, I've helped a friend swap his 88 both ways(his ZF lost reverse so the 19 went back in.)
I just am not a fan of automatics, although the new 5 and 6 speed units are liveable.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I would go with the Zf for simplicity....If I ever had a ford given to me, the first thing to go is that damn E4OD!!!!! Never again will I deal with THAT!!!!

I did a ZF swap on my truck for about $!700....and that was after a shop SCREWED up my rear DS and I had to have another built from scratch!