Transmission selections?

BrownBomber90

Reaction score
well guys i appreciate the thoughts but i jus want a stock tranny and upgrade as i go due to budget cuts... i think a valve body and torque converter would be the first thing to do... any advice?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only upgrade thats possible without tearing it down completely would be either a torque converter, which involves dropping and draining it, or a shift kit which is basically the cheapest part of any upgrade planning.

Again, I have to ask what you can afford and what you want to do with the truck. Is the transmission actually shot right now?

None of the internal upgrades can be done "as you go" unless you want to tear it down every other weekend.

There is a tech article on E4OD upgrades that includes some info I posted a while ago. You might want to start there.

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just do it the first time and be done with it. I haven't had good luck patchin stuff. What if you put a valve body and a convertor then the OD planetary blows lunch? Then you have new parts full of metal.You might consider a Ford reman. They have the upgrades and a really good warranty that is good everywhere. Whatever you do make sure that you flush the cooler and lines really well.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just do it the first time and be done with it. I haven't had good luck patchin stuff. What if you put a valve body and a convertor then the OD planetary blows lunch? Then you have new parts full of metal.You might consider a Ford reman. They have the upgrades and a really good warranty that is good everywhere. Whatever you do make sure that you flush the cooler and lines really well.

AND install an inline filter on the cooler line return.;Sweet

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
ZF's in both of my trucks but I think when I'm ready to put my Cummins in a Ford it's getting a built E4OD or 4100R.....Good hard shifts with no boost loss....Maybe even an Allison if I can find one...LOL....The ZF in my 91 has me at 2000rpm at 70mph.

BrownBomber90

Reaction score
well the tranny is shiftin real bad jerkin around in 3 and od....it has a shift kit in it right now but i hate the damn thing so bad... i just want another stock tranny with a valve body and torque converter.. would that be alright or should i just get a reman tranny with upgrades and no shift kit

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Something I've always been thinking about was mating 2 T19's together and then running high gears in the axles and leave one in 3rd as you go through all the gears in the other one then shift it into direct(4th) through both for good highway mileage. You could probably figure out different gear ratios and run through them like an old mack shifting both at once with your arm through the steering wheel lol. Plus if one was a gasser box, that would be an amazingly low first gear in low range.

What you are talking about has basically been done, except with existing parts, I just used a 3 speed spicer brownie. If you wanted 4, you could stick a 4 speed brownie behind a t19 and have a pretty interesting combination, that way you could have deep reduction for the whole range, then under direct and over in each gear, you could re gear the rear end tall and essentially wind up with the equivilant of a double over by the time you hit 4 over

As far as breakdowns, I don't worry, I had complete new driveshafts made and I carry the factory ones with me on long trips so if the box folds on me, I'm not dead in the water for days on end trying to locate parts or someone willing to let me use their shop since nobody is brave enough to try to dig into the thing, The way I mounted it, I figure 2 hours max for the worlds biggest idiot mechanic to yank the brownie and the shafts and throw them in the bed and pop the original driveshafts back on and be back on the road

If you want a REAL stout combination, you could get a Clark 5 speed and pop a 3 or 4 speed brownie behind it. Not only is the Clark a heavier duty tranny( you can find them in big truck boneyards in schoolbusses) but they are also setup with a better gear ratio spread for a brownie for even splits :sly

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the tranny is shiftin real bad jerkin around in 3 and od....it has a shift kit in it right now but i hate the damn thing so bad... i just want another stock tranny with a valve body and torque converter.. would that be alright or should i just get a reman tranny with upgrades and no shift kit

If you are considering the Ford reman we were talking about it would be detrimental. If you opted for one you would have to install it later and if Ford found out about it later it would probably void the warranty. I thought of something I don't think we discussed. Ford changed the programming on the E4OD's over the years. The processor in your truck will not accept a reflash like the new ones. The whole processor has to be changed to get the latest programming. The new programming is meant to complement the transmission upgrades. You may have it already. You will have to get someone at the Ford house to check for you. We used to be able to do this by running the VIN on the Ford computer but our trucks are too old now so they will have to dig. If you get a blank look in return for your request get me the calibration number off the door jamb, probably a smaller rectangular white sticker and the processor part number. I can look into it for you and get you the part number you need for the latest calibation. If you don't have the latest you should install a processor at the same time you put the new transmission in.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I am going to assume you want to stay with automatic and suggest you keep your E4OD. Look for a local private shop to do a heavy duty rebuild. A shop that rebuilds for people who use their trucks for a living like towing boats or something will know how to make yours shift better and run cooler, heat kills autos. Also Banks makes a controller for E4OD and Hypermax has nice valvebodies that will improve shifting. ATS makes drop ins that will handle 3 times the hp an idi will make. Stay away from Jasper and chain store rebuilds. Food for thought, I live in NJ and bought and shipped my 1991 f350 4x4 srw crew cab in from Oregon to get the ZF5 speed I wanted.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
If you really wanna see some cool gear banging, go onto youtube and search cummins 10 speed conversion. I believe its a Roadranger RTO610. Definitely top on my list to replace my ZF when it pukes

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I will assume You have an e4od and in that case You can just have it rebuild with all the upgraded parts (a member here have one built by Brian something sorry My memory is bad for names) He'll make it bullet proof (I mean it after the upgrade some guys put them behind cummins with lots of fuel) and You won't have to change a thing just forget about it. Money well spent ONE time.

BrownBomber90

Reaction score
so what you guys are saying is if i get another stock tranny it can be upgraded to better that ever before... how much do you guys think it would cost?