Transfer case options

Pele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm shopping for a 1995-2003 Ford Diesel 4x4.

I'm noticing two options on transfer case operations. One is a lever on the floor to the right of the driver's seat. One is a switch on the dashboard.

Questions:

1.) Is the electronic version prone to failure? (I assume yes because I saw this type of failure in a early 2000's Explorer.

2.) Is there a year to year difference or a trim level difference that will indicate if it has the electronic or lever activated 4x4? Basically, I want to know if I can avoid it without having to look at every truck in the paper.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
up till 99 all 250-350s Ive seen are manual.
from 99-02 floor shift was pretty much standard.
03 + had most all electronic, cant say Ive ever seen a 6.0 wiht a floor shifter.
most lariats were esof, but I have seen xlts with it, my 99 has it.
the hubs are a notorious bad link, they usally go bad and need replaced, usually with aftermarket.
the motors also do fail, but not common, and occasionally the fuse blows.
I wouldnt make a deal breaker over having esof.
But I do prefer my maunual stuff.

zpd307

Reaction score
my buddy has an 06 6.0 f350 cc lariat with floor shift 4x4...... :dunno my 03 lariat and 99 lariat had/have electronic shift 4x4.

Pele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not gonna touch later than 2003, so that's a good thing...

Now I gotta go back through my listings and see, because I thought I saw a 7.3 with electronic.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
A shift lever is more robust, and also shifts on the fly.

I wouldn't say the electronic is failure-prone, but as with anything more complicated - more likely to fail than a simpler system. I have seen other transfer cases of this type wreck their internals because the shift motor wasn't finding it position properly.

I believe the electronic shift showed up optionally in very upscale models (XLT lariat) for 96 and 97

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The electronic unit for the 4X4 cost $260 plus $100 for programming, at least that is what I was quoted. It's mounted behind the drivers side kick panel, and is subject to water leaks if the windshield leaks there. Mine wanted to shift unexpectedly, so I put a switch to disconnect the motor until I ready to use 4 wheel drive. So far so good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor

Members online