Trans Temp Gauge

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
If your sensor is measuring converter output temp its not out of line.
Ideally you want to measure what's coming out of your coolers though.

You are better off reading the temp from the test port. This will be a true reading of the temp.

If you read the return line temp, you could toast the tranny and still have a safe reading.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are better off reading the temp from the test port. This will be a true reading of the temp.

If you read the return line temp, you could toast the tranny and still have a safe reading.

"True reading?" What does that mean? What flow is the test port reading?

Many people think, and I agree, that the sump temp is the best place to read because that is the oil the pump will pick up to circulate.

I agree about return line, though there is something to be said about knowing how efficient the coolers are.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I read the temps in the MagHitech pan port. I see 160 to 185 usually. I have a huge cooler in front of the radiater but have forgotten what size it is.. Sad isn't it. The pan has an extra 2 galons of atf in it so I feel I'm running safely. Someday I would like to rad the converter out temp and the cooler out temp too. The fluid returning to the pan is cooler and it lubes some bearings in the rear of the trans. I'm not clear if all the atf flows out of the converter or does some drop back into the pan like any engine oil does after its been run thru an engine to lube and cool.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
"True reading?" What does that mean? What flow is the test port reading?

Many people think, and I agree, that the sump temp is the best place to read because that is the oil the pump will pick up to circulate.

I agree about return line, though there is something to be said about knowing how efficient the coolers are.

If you read the temp at the return line or the pan. It will be cooler than the actual transmission temp. The test port will give you the actual transmission temp. Because it is in the case. The only place hotter is the out put line.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you read the temp at the return line or the pan. It will be cooler than the actual transmission temp. The test port will give you the actual transmission temp. Because it is in the case. The only place hotter is the out put line.

I would like you to define "actual trans temp" and what circuit the test port on an A4OD is plumbed into? There are about four different temp zones in the average automatic transmission. I'm trying to get crystal here.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Actual or true temp reading is what the internals are running. Say you have the sender in your pan. The gauge is reading 190. The internals could have a temp reading of 225 or better give or take.

The test port is the main fluid circuit. This is why it's the test port. It runs hot fluid at max pressure all the time. Unless something blows up.:D