Trans info?

DMax Demon

Reaction score
Can you make a 2wd tranny a 4wd? and if so how? i have a '94 F250 ext. cab long bed 4x4 project truck with a 7.3 idi and an E4od tranny. any input would be appreciated.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Can you make a 2wd tranny a 4wd? and if so how? i have a '94 F250 ext. cab long bed 4x4 project truck with a 7.3 idi and an E4od tranny. any input would be appreciated.
diesel to diesel,yes..then,you need the output shaft,,and the adaptor piece..the patterns arent the same for 460 gas and 6.9 or 7.3 diesel..and the internals are heavier also................

ghettoscrap

Reaction score
diesel to diesel,yes..then,you need the output shaft,,and the adaptor piece..the patterns arent the same for 460 gas and 6.9 or 7.3 diesel..and the internals are heavier also................

Not trying to hijack the post but I was told the trans bellhousing bolt patterns were the same for these two engines (460 gas and the navistar engines). This was told to me by two different transmission shops and my trans parts supply house (I buid my own since AMMCO can't do it right!-cuss).

I take issue becasue I just bought a diesel truck for the transmission since I can not find one for my 460. Money wasted? I guess not really, now I have a good running diesel truck as part of the herd. But seriously if it does not fit then I need to get rid of this truck since the wife won't let me put the diesel into her F-350 CC LB SRW 4x4 with all the towing goodies on the back AND in the bed.

And I just snatched a Banks turbo kit out of the junkyard too, oh well.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
ghettoscrap,

You are correct, the 460 and the IDI/PSD transmission have a different bolt pattern. We have several members here that have re-drilled a 460 transmission to fit behind the diesel. The first member here that did it was typ4, and it has been referred to at the "typ4 mod".

I would think, if you were able to drill the 460 for the diesel, then why not be able to do the reverse. I do not know of anyone that has done it......

DMax,

You can change them over, but from what I have read, you have to completely disassemble the transmission and swap out the tailhousing, and the main shaft I believe. Most here just look for a 4x4 transmission.......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online