Trans Discussion

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some here may know that Ive mentioned my E4 has been on borrowed time. Well it very recently has been progressing a little faster.

However, this is not a thread to debate a diagnosis or repair, moreso which direction to go in for replacing. Money is extremely tight so the most inexpensive method is required.

Now onto the nitty gritty. Finding a used E4 for a 7.3 is a bear around here and I really dont like the idea of putting another timebomb back in the truck. Id love to be able to get the updataed Ford replacement but $2k is out of the question. I like the E4 when it works and would like to keep the factory look of things on the inside but money is really pushing me away from this option.

Guys that have ACTUALLY DONE A ZF5 SWAP your opions/advice will be greatly appreciated right about now. These used are reasonably priced around here and would be plenty beefy. Theyre not that plentiful but they are out there. Talked to a guy earlier today off CL that had just let one go from a '94 F450 for $500 complete trans/clutch/pedal assembly. What I need to know is how difficult the swap is and EVERYTHING I would need partswise. What would I be looking at total cost aside from the trans/clutch/pedals? Any fabbing thats required aside from cutting the hole for the shifter?? Anything else I would need to know about this swap?? Will any ZF5 work? The guy off CL said theyre all the same regardless of whether you have a transfer case or not.

Lastly Im debating a C6. These for a 7.3 are scarce around here to say the least. Also, the ONLY WAY this would happen for me is with a aux overdrive. With my 4.10s I wouldnt be able to go over 50 without turning the heck out of the engine. And Im not swapping gears. The 4.10s will allow me to go up a tire size down the road and still be able to tow. Plus swapping gears is more money so right now its out of the question. So, what am I looking at costwise for swapping a C6/GV (or something of the like) in the truck? Fabbing and differences?? Difficulty??

Sorry for the novel, any help is greatly appreciated.

Jon

Last edited:

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best bet do you have another vehicle and if so drive it and save up the money to rebuild and put in stronger components any good trans guy will do it if you ask. best of luck

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the C6, you'd have to stumble into a helluva deal to get the trans plus an aux box for anything less than an e40d rebuild. I like my setup okay but would have just done the ZF if I had to do it over. Even with a rebuilt GV unit, all the money and time spent gathering up odds and ends could have gone into a ZF and a ton of beer.

My recollection from measuring for an earlier thread was that the C6 was about 4 inches shorter than an e40, so factor in some driveline work if you do swap.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upgrade to a manual trans, We all know these autos are problematic behind the 7.3

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some here may know that Ive mentioned my E4 has been on borrowed time.

However, this is not a thread to debate a diagnosis or repair

I like the E4 when it works and would like to keep the factory look of things on the inside but money is really pushing me away from this option.

Jon
can you post a link to your E40D symptom and diagnostic thread?

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I really like my C6/GV combo, especially much more than just the C6 alone, there are two major drawbacks to that combo for me:
1. No TC lockup for the C6. You'll always be losing some power output and RPM's to the tranny.
2. No GV OD or gear splitting while in 4wd. This isn't a huge deal as most of the time you won't be needing to go over 50 while in 4wd, but I am always paranoid that you could accidentally kick the GV on while in 4wd and end up grenading the unit. I've since installed a manual lockout/power switch for mine but it is one more thing to think about especially if someone borrows your truck.

I think that you'd be hard pressed to find a C6 and GV combo for less than $1500, and the condition of the C6 may still be questionable. You'll also be looking at some cost to shorten your driveline. I'd start pricing out what it would cost to have your E4OD gone through and then you'd have a known commodity.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best bet do you have another vehicle and if so drive it and save up the money to rebuild and put in stronger components any good trans guy will do it if you ask. best of luck

That is what I would do. Shop around for a good shop that knows the E4od and start saving. I had one done with billet torque converter and other upgrades I can't remember. It was 1850 and they did the r and r.
With a good rebuild and a good cooler you won't have to think about it again.

Squeaky_Wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of threads about a E4OD to ZF5 swap on here but off the top of my head. You will need to get the trans tunnel cover from a manual truck, master cylinder, the correct drive shafts, and the backup lights wiring plug that plugs into the ZF5. I would also suggest upgrading to a single mass flywheel setup (LUK about $600.00) and getting the firewall reinforcement plate from freebird01 to avoid cracking your firewall.

A ZF5 from a gasser will not bolt in directly without modifying the bellhousing. There is a Tech article on how this is done.

This link should help you develop your own list for a manual swap.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51572&highlight=swap+list

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yeah get the E4od done up well and make SURE all your related wiring is in EXCELLENT condition along with all the related sensors, toss some synthetic fluid in it and you will be set for many years. I had a high mileage one in a 90 that I just sold and once I got her working well, it was a dream, I had the locking TC mod also which makes it even better, if you don't mind it...

Its usually poor wiring and faulty sensors that kills them.,

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
i'd give you a nice and tight c6 with a transfer case if you were closer. I got one thats out of my truck. I've been debating on tearing the zf5 out for the c6 again with a OD unit. The c6 is tough as nails and this one is really tight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online