Trans and transfer case question

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be installing my autozone trans tonight only been waiting 2 weeks for it to come in! Anyway it's a c6 I wanted to know how much fluid and what kind of fluid I should get. Also I'll drain my t case and refill it as well was wonder how much I'll need on that. Just trying to get everything I need so it's a one trip night. Thanks!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Motorcraft Mercon V for the C6, probably about 10 QTS, start it up and check level when hot and add as needed. Or you can use just about any Auto trans if it's full Synthetic.

Don't know about the TC.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Walmart has the cheapest type f fluid if you use that. I have read and Googled 12.5 quarts torque converter and all.... I have read several threads on fluid type and it says both can be used. I'm gonna use type f because I read more than five saying use type f cause the mercon was invented for a softer shift. I'm not into that.. it's a truck and I'm putting g a shift kit in mine.....

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had a Ford slushbox that ran Mercon V of any kind and shifter soft. It's how you set your valve body up more so than what fluid you use. Using thicker ATF to make the thing shift better is like running thicker oil to keep your engine oil pressure in check - it's a bandaid, yeah it works, but for how long? Of course since the transmission is a part-store reman with a warranty it's hard to justify messing with its valve body...

I'd say call the rebuilder and ask them what fluid to use. If they used clutch material and what have you that calls for at least Dex/Merc and you run Type F, if she pukes and they figure out the different fluid you can very much kiss your warranty goodbye.

And if they say they want Dex/Merc, you can run Mercon V - it's the upgraded fluid, it lubricates better (for all the bearings and bushings and junk) and holds up to higher operating temperatures and pressures, it can be used anywhere Dex/Merc is used with no ill effects. Hey that kept our old E4OD running like clockwork, and considering that very same trans now happily lives behind a healthy PSD with zero mechanical work done to it since removal from our truck and prior to install in the other I'd say that's something...

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
considering that very same trans now happily lives behind a healthy PSD with zero mechanical work done to it since removal from our truck and prior to install in the other I'd say that's something...

Yeah for an E4OD that's definitely something!!! ;Poke ;Poke

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Walmart has the cheapest type f fluid if you use that. I have read and Googled 12.5 quarts torque converter and all.... I have read several threads on fluid type and it says both can be used. I'm gonna use type f because I read more than five saying use type f cause the mercon was invented for a softer shift. I'm not into that.. it's a truck and I'm putting g a shift kit in mine.....

Mercon V is much easier to find if something happens road side.
With a shift kit Mercon V is fine. You don't want the tranny slamming gears, that just breaks stuff.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Whitehorse I run Mercron V in my truck(when she ran) C6 with a shift kit and also in a C6 with no shift kit the shifts are nice and firm.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm tellin ya type F ATF is not good in the E4OD or the C6. It has a sticker in it for the C2-3-4-5, also is a higher viscosity. Type F was used to keep the clutches from slipping so much, there is no need for that now. IIRC the C5 used the DEX/MERC. I may be wrong, but Mercon V formula can be used in any automatic.

Type F Applications
The frictional characteristics of an automatic transmission fluid are an important factor in the design and operation of the transmission. All Ford transmissions built prior to 1977, and certain models that continued in use during 1977-1980, were designed for a high-friction fluid that allowed the shifting clutches to lock up or engage quickly. Ford specification ESW-M2C33-F covers this type of product, which is commonly referred to as "Type F" fluid.

These vehicles are identified as:

All 1976 and earlier Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury models of cars, vans, and light trucks;
All 1977-1980 models having either ESW-M2C33-F or no number at all stamped on the transmission dipstick

Last edited:

Fixnstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mercon V was approved by Ford in a technical service bulletin in 2006 or 07 for all previous automatic transmissions and it's better than previous fluids that were approved in sequence from type F which I remember from back in the 1950s. Approvals step up with improvements in technology (formulations). Manufacturers who make the transmission fluids can make it to meet more than one vehicle manufacturer's specifications, thus you can see Dexron 3 and Mercon V for example on the same label and perhaps approved for several manufacturers.

Lets look at the IDI era and earlier. The reason for keeping transmission fluid temperatures below a certain temperature is that above that temperature the transmission fluid begins to break down, loses lubrication and hydraulic properties which will lead to transmission damage. I learned that from a former Ford transmissions engineer who posts at FTE.

As someone else here mentioned, Mercon V can sustain higher temperatures without breaking down. I don't know about those temperature specifics but I do know this much:

Full Synthetic transmission fluids can perform well at temperatures as much as 185 deg. F higher than non-synthetic fluids without breaking down and synthetic mixes also perform at higher temps than non-synthetic.

I used full synthetic Mercon V in my C-6. I also added an in-line MAGNEFINE filter (the real one made in Australia- lots of copies out there which have shown not to be as good - there may be an exception or two but I'm not taking chances at this stage. If you recall what is on the magnet in the pan and the black film on the bottom of the pan the last time you changed the fluid then you'll know why I think an inline magnetic filter (it has a filter medium as well as a magnet and a bypass as it starts to get plugged) it is a 'no-brainer' decision.

Just because the C6 normally works so very well and for so long with only a screen doesn't mean that adding a filter is not a very good idea to help it last longer. With the Full Synthetic fluid I BELIEVE that my C6 can work harder or at least longer at higher temperatures without risk from fluid breaking down. As far as I am aware the main cause of automatic transmission failures in a good transmission is excessive heat breaking down the transmission fluid.

I also intend to add a couple of small very powerful rare earth magnets (neodymium) to the outside of the pan and I'll get those from inside of some old computer hard drives I have lying about (don't throw those away before taking the magnets out - they are fun to have with many uses) They most often look like small disk brake pads in the older hard drives:
attachment.php

The part with the holes is just steel that the magnets are stuck to and I leave those on to grab the edge of the steel to pull the magnet off of whatever it is stuck to - otherwise the magnet is so powerful it is not easy to get it off!

I am going to also use a couple of these on my oil filter and on a coolant filter when I install one.

Back to Full Synthetic fluid being Mercon V in this case- it also lasts longer maybe for the reasons mentioned above and/or other improvements in the formulation of the Mercon V specification whether synthetic or not.

That being said, I had installed a new and larger transmission fluid auxiliary cooler that I will probably rarely, if ever, actually need with a fluid that performs well at those significantly higher temperatures. I'll probably keep most of the cooler covered in normal driving conditions or all of it covered in cold winter weather and only uncover it in hot weather, (city driving gets transmission fluid hot) and when I am working the transmission hard, like pulling a load up long grades. I don't see any need (for me) to have a transmission temperature gauge, I can probably judge well enough by the engine temp gauge. I already have an EGT gauge. My truck weighs 6,080 lbs according to the DMV, with heavy duty factory options to pull an combined weight (that is with a trailer) of 14k lbs. and now has a larger aux. transmission cooler rated for 18k lbs. combined weight. I'm unlikely to ever be pulling more than 14k GCVW but I'll be able to.

Rare Earth magnets, in this post mentioning Neodymium magnets (alloy of neodymium, iron and boron) in various shapes and sizes are very inexpensive on-line. You can get one to stick on the outside of your engine oil drain plug (even if it is already magnetized this will substantially improve it) for probably a dollar - I haven't looked in a long while. Use plated ones or coated ones for outside use to prevent corrosion of the magnet. computer hard drive magnets are already nickle plated.

I'd like to make a small magnetic 'sweeper' about 8 inches long by adhering these inside of a small and shallow rectangular extruded aluminum or PVC tube. I think they'll pull up a screw buried in the dirt where a regular iron magnet wont. They can lift thousands of times their own weight! In fact not much larger than this they can become dangerous (seriously!) They are a bit brittle compared to Iron, I think I broke one once.

If you want to know more and intend to use them do read this for a start: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_magnet#Properties

Sorry I wrote so much about these magnets but they are fascinating.

Last edited: