tranny problem???

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tranny (T19) problem???

recently i've noticed when i go down a hill it seems like my truck is in neutral for a couple seconds when i hit the gas again after coasting, then it seems to kick in and run fine. Is it my tranny? thanks for any help!

Last edited:

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like converter disengaged and you're on the coast clutch... So normal, at least with how mine act

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like converter disengaged and you're on the coast clutch... So normal, at least with how mine act
just noticed it recently, never did it before, it's a T19. You're talking about an auto tranny?

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just noticed it recently, never did it before, it's a T19. You're talking about an auto tranny?

Friggin mobile... Your truck info didn't show up. That behavior should be specific to an E4OD

Lykkan

Reaction score
When your TC is locked up and you let go of the gas enough where the engine isn't under load your TC should disengage to not slow you down. TC is to help improve gas mileage by not allowing the engine to run a different speed than the ttransmission. If it didn't disengage the engine would slow your truck down a lot. Reapplying gas / load on the engine should re-engage it. Does it seem like it's doing something different than this?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since it is a manual....is your clutch slipping under full load?

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since it is a manual....is your clutch slipping under full load?

no clutch slippage at all, it's been my experience when the clutch disc is worn you get slippage going up hills and i'm not experiencing this, was even out in MD not long ago going up huge hills and no problems except what i described at the bottom of hills, that's why i'm baffled.

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When your TC is locked up and you let go of the gas enough where the engine isn't under load your TC should disengage to not slow you down. TC is to help improve gas mileage by not allowing the engine to run a different speed than the ttransmission. If it didn't disengage the engine would slow your truck down a lot. Reapplying gas / load on the engine should re-engage it. Does it seem like it's doing something different than this?

understood but it's got the T19 4 speed manual trans.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the truck overrunning the engine? Ie, the downhill momentum spins the engine, then it takes a second for the IP to catch up and produce power exceeding the momentum.

Another way: If you are accelerating downhill in gear and rpms increase with foot off pedal, when you give it throttle it will take a moment for the engine to match the downhill acceleration and accelerate further.

I'd be worried if your RPMs dropped to idle when coasting downhill

Last edited:

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh sorry didn't see that. Under acceleration does the clutch seem to slip then? Or only going downhill?

only going downhill, seems like something is free spinning and needs to lock in when you come off a hill, after it does it is fine.

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the truck overrunning the engine? Ie, the downhill momentum spins the engine, then it takes a second for the IP to catch up and produce power exceeding the momentum.

Another way: If you are accelerating downhill in gear and rpms increase with foot off pedal, when you give it throttle it will take a moment for the engine to match the downhill acceleration and accelerate further.

I'd be worried if your RPMs dropped to idle when coasting downhill

I can actually hear spinning until it seems to lock in then it's fine, RPM's don't drop when coasting downhill.