Tranny keeps getting set off???

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently put a banks downpipe on my 94 7.3 idi td. Ever since then when it is warm out and im working it hard (today I was pulling a 4000lb. trailer) the tranny gets set off into limp mode. I looked underneath and felt that the exhaust was extremely hot and very close 1-2 inches away from tranny and lines. If I unhook negatives on batteries and let it set and cool it is fine until I work it again. I wraped the area close to the tranny with header wrap but it set itself off again today. Is there any aluminum wrap like was on the stock dp that I could buy to put on this dp and exhaust? Thanks I need to figure this out I pull a trailer almost everyday...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
On the passenger side of the E4OD trans is a electrical plug. It must have the steel heat deflecter bolted in place to keep that area cool. Is yours still bolted to the trans. If not find one and install it before you burn down the wireing in that area. Also try to move the exhaust over under the truck some.

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this plug located by where the two hard lines run into the tranny inself? This is where the exhaust comes extremely close to the tranny.. I didint think the heat would cause it, my speedo is not smooth all the time its kinda slow and a little jumpy too maybe thats it..

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My down pipe is only a 1/4 inch away from the lines and i have not seen a change in temps. Doubt its the closeness.

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I grab the codes? Do I need to take it to a shop, or is there a way to do it myself. I dont have a scanner