tq not locking up help

mark huff

Reaction score
Tq is not locking up on 90 f250 7.3 idi will it burn up the transmission if I still drive it

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
No, the tranny wont burn up. But your fuel mileage will suck. You need to find out why it wont lock up.

Check the fluid. Hi or low will affect this.

Check your connectors for damage.

Failed S3 solenoid. Solenoid pack replacement is required.

Deeper inside. If the above doesn't fix it. The tranny needs to be pulled.

Dirty converter apply valve. This is in the pump.

Damaged Teflon seals. Pump hub

Finally failed apply piston seal or broken apply piston in the converter. This is very common on stock spec converters. Converter replacement is required for this problem.

But first, check for codes.

If you have a code 94. Your problem is the solenoid pack. You should have a 62 code too.

mark huff

Reaction score
So I checked the tc silonid and I here it clicking so I think it is the tc the tranney shifts good so I don't think it is the pump what do yall think

mark huff

Reaction score
Well jest found out the tc is locking up it is jest really weak it really don't do anything can that be the pump or the tc

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well jest found out the tc is locking up it is jest really weak it really don't do anything can that be the pump or the tc

see this plastic valve here i just extracted and replaced with a metal one.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50598&d=1401558024
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50599&d=1401558024
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50600&d=1401558024

if you want,you could try a superior k062 kit.they don't cost a lot and they are pretty simple to install but the ****** is,you need to pull the trans.so id be some sure the tcm is telling the converter solenoid to lock up the converter issue free before going into the work.
instructions:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...uck-pic-heavy)&p=805098&viewfull=1#post805098

what your issue might be,is the plastic valve has melted and wont come out whole like mine did.if you see that,then you'll know at least.
id be some tempted to toss in a reman converter at the same time in your case too.

mark huff

Reaction score
It is trying to lock up I put it in gear and sitting there at a idle where it won't move and manual lock it it starts to move jest a little thow it does not even bog the motor at all

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh wow lol.yeah that should stall ya right out.just like popping the clutch with a manual without giving it any gas.
i would first check to make sure the solenoid has a 20 ohm resistance value though.
so....then i suppose since you have the line run into the cab it should be fairly simple to make sure.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
so take a peek here.there's only so many reasons for not getting converter lockup (a full signal which should stall the engine right out at idle in d.)

so start at the first one.how is the fluid level? did you check it with engine running in P or N when she was up to operating temp?

for the second one,did you cut the wire and run a line from the tcm side and a line from the trans side into the cab?
what color was the wire you cut?

3.im not sure right off which seal it means here.
hopefully someone shows us using the pics in log truck thread? maybe that's one of those split seal/kind o-ring looking seals around the shaft there.probably just what it is.....guessing here though brother.

4.is the plastic ****** i just showed ya.

5. though could just be a converter who gave up the ghost lol.i should think if it doesn't have enough clutch material to lock (firm enough to stall the engine at idle) that you'd have a crap ton load of black clutch material around the magnet in your pan though brother.like table spoons full or something! lol.

edit,oh opps.speeder already listed these reasons in post #5 too.

Attachments

• no converter clutch apply.JPG
    no converter clutch apply.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

mark huff

Reaction score
The atf is at level i jest checked line pressure it's good. What do u set the meter on to get the right reading to ohm it out