tq not locking up help

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
20k 200k 2k 2000k ??

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+read+ohms+on+a+multimeter

this would kinda good if you see a failed solenoid.you can buy them used,reman or new on ebay.89-94 year.you have to replace the whole block.
what's so good about this being the problem,would be that it's about the easiest to fix.simply drop the pan,and you can replace the s-pack right there and done.however it wouldn't be the cheapest,it sure would be an easy fix.if it's just an original older trans,just grab a used one if the solenoid isn't any good unless a reman is close to same prices on ebay.
if that tests out,then you probably got some real work ahead of ya.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh my bad.right.you'll be testing for 20-30 ohms.so you use the lowest setting on the meter.you had 2k out of order.i didn't see it.
so lets see here.you measured between what two colored wires? the purple one you cut (and with the trans relay pulled for extra safety) between the red wire right?

when go for a drive and ground that purple wire (the side that leads down to the trans,not the side running back up to the teca) at say 30 mph,you don't notice the rpm drop at all and or feel the semi shift?

that plastic valve is what makes the converter lock up.if the bore is dirty due to neglected flushes,contaminates or if the trans has ran way to warm the plastic might have even melted.if that happens,no lockup even if the teca and solenoid say,yeah man we told it to lock up it just didn't listen to us.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
here are pics of the atsg e40d/4r100 update pdf.
here you can see how i did great things with the superior k062 kit for log truck.this failed most likely and caused chip trucks trans to loose OD and thus thousands on a hd reman.
it didn't block off and cause a non lockup state in that truck though.i suspect it just partially blocked and caused the lube flow issue and thats why the trans guy found the mess he did behind my pump.man,you should have seen the clutches.he showed me.at 100k on the original trans.would have gone another 100-150k easy on those discs.they looked hardly wore at all.ah well.that's how she goes.they learned a lot about all the old flaws in the E40D over the years.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

mark huff

Reaction score
I tested the red and purple with yellow strip and the tranney got hot one time before it stopped working and all the fluid cam out the front main a weak later it was working fine i stopped at the stop sine and took off it was not working and haven't worked since I can feal it lock up a little jest not enuff to do any thing

mark huff

Reaction score
Well now there is no movement at all jest put a new tc in it and there is still good pressure on the test port on the side it was making a humming noise when it first stoped and it went away so is it time for a zf5 swap

mark huff

Reaction score
So i am having the same problem again but when i power up the lock up solenoid it starts to bog down the motor a little but does not lock fully

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online