TPS help needed quick

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
What is your WOT voltage? I am assuming that if you are 1.0-3.0 then the TPS will increase the voltage quicker than if you are 1.0-4.0. I would like to know because I might want to adjust mine closer to yours if you say you are getting really good response and performance from it.

Thanks.

I think my WOT is around 3.85V iirc.
The thing with these though is you can only tune for the idle setting. when ever i set my idle voltage the WOT does what ever it wants to do.:dunno

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can change my WOT voltage and keep my idle voltage. I get my idle voltage correct and tighten down the front bolts a little and then adjust the rear of the flange for WOT then check the idle again. It's a dance but I am at 1.08-4.28V right now. I still need to check it again and make sure it is within range.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I can change my WOT voltage and keep my idle voltage. I get my idle voltage correct and tighten down the front bolts a little and then adjust the rear of the flange for WOT then check the idle again. It's a dance but I am at 1.08-4.28V right now. I still need to check it again and make sure it is within range.

Could you expain that more? i have never heard of doing that.:dunno

Picks would be nice if possible.

Last edited:

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Im pretty sure idle specs are 650 +- 50rpm. 750 is pretty high. My fast idle is 800.

Mine is set at 1.13 at idle and 3.88 WOT.

LSOSGT1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my idle set at around 650 to 700 I'm guessing. Kinda hard to tell exactly just by looking at the tach. My TPS is set at 1.00 at idle and 3.65 at WOT. Seems to be working good so far. It holds first gear and shifts a little firmer from 1st to 2nd than it does from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4. I'm guessing that it should be that way though?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I have my idle set at around 650 to 700 I'm guessing. Kinda hard to tell exactly just by looking at the tach. My TPS is set at 1.00 at idle and 3.65 at WOT. Seems to be working good so far. It holds first gear and shifts a little firmer from 1st to 2nd than it does from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4. I'm guessing that it should be that way though?

When i had my idle prm below 750 then my tranny would hold onto each shift until 2,700-2,800 rpm no matter what amount of throttle input. if i wanted to keep up with traffic taking off from a light it would not shift until 3,000 rpm and then have a real firm shift. also my tranny would not shift into O/D until ~60mph. now it shifts into O/D ~ 45mph. i like that much better. i had my idle voltage on my TPS set to .99v. when my tps was at that setting along with my rpm then my truck was no fun to drive. i had to put the pedal almost half way to the floor to realy get moving. once i increased my idle speed to at least 750 rpm and set my TPS to 1.00V idle it shift nice and smooth at an rpm i like, but the shifts were crisp as well.

LSOSGT1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i had my idle prm below 750 then my tranny would hold onto each shift until 2,700-2,800 rpm no matter what amount of throttle input. if i wanted to keep up with traffic taking off from a light it would not shift until 3,000 rpm and then have a real firm shift. also my tranny would not shift into O/D until ~60mph. now it shifts into O/D ~ 45mph. i like that much better. i had my idle voltage on my TPS set to .99v. when my tps was at that setting along with my rpm then my truck was no fun to drive. i had to put the pedal almost half way to the floor to realy get moving. once i increased my idle speed to at least 750 rpm and set my TPS to 1.00V idle it shift nice and smooth at an rpm i like, but the shifts were crisp as well.

I spoke too soon! It is acting up again today. TPS is set at .99 and I'm getting flashing OD light and code 23 (TPS out of range) on the reader. I haven't adjusted my idle up any but I will do that tomorrow evening and then set my TPS to 1.00 and see if that helps. Trouble is that I'm just guessing as to what the idle RPM is. I guess for 750 I would just adjust until the needle on the tach is half way between 500 and 1000. I'm just trying to get this thing to shift smooth enough to get me by for three more weeks, then I'll have everything I need to do the ZF5 swap and I won't have to worry about all this sensor crap anymore!

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I spoke too soon! It is acting up again today. TPS is set at .99 and I'm getting flashing OD light and code 23 (TPS out of range) on the reader. I haven't adjusted my idle up any but I will do that tomorrow evening and then set my TPS to 1.00 and see if that helps. Trouble is that I'm just guessing as to what the idle RPM is. I guess for 750 I would just adjust until the needle on the tach is half way between 500 and 1000. I'm just trying to get this thing to shift smooth enough to get me by for three more weeks, then I'll have everything I need to do the ZF5 swap and I won't have to worry about all this sensor crap anymore!

these trucks seem to know when we talk about them. LOL
Good luck.

LSOSGT1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I went out tonight and checked it again. My idle is setting half way between 500 and 1000. The truck is warm though, been driving it this evening. I hooked the reader up, cleared the code and set the TPS to 1.00 volt. Didn't help! Does your constant wire on your TPS have 5 volts? Mine only has 4.95. Reckon this is an issue? The constant wire on my 93 IDI non turbo has 6 volts.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Have you had this issue on other idi's before?
It "should" be able to be set at the factory idle specs.

The end of the throttle shaft that the TPS sits on moves of course when you adjust your idle and/or open up the throttle, but the TPS also moves, if its set at 1.5v at 650rpm; you can change the idle to 750 or whatever and the TPS should read the same if you move it the same amount as you move the throttle shaft. At least id does for me with the E40d idi's that I have played with. So this is "my" experience, im not saying that this is the way it is supposed to be, it just works this way for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online