Towing Fun

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, here's the deal,
I take my Dads truck and 16' trailer out to the sawmill and load up with wood to cut for firewood for next season. Trailer and load equal about 7000lb total. What I notice is that his 1990 IDI n/a truck tows twice as good as mine, as far as power on the hills and easy acceleration.
Now my IDI n/a is about all factory. But Dads has a Moose Junior IP, also a tranny with billet low stall TC and other tranny goodies.
So what makes his pull so much better? I don't know where to start. Tranny or Moose pump? Now that I've used his, mine may never tow again.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Well the better torque converter means more power getting to the ground and more fuel+air makes more power

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's a combination of better stuff. I know his tranny is top shelf, I built it myself last year, with no expense spared to deliver all power to the wheels. I just wonder what difference the IP is making? Pulling the same load my truck makes lots of rpms, with less wheel movement. This lends me to thinking the tranny is most of what I notice.?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Why not build your trans and see what changes. My wag is the Moose pump is the big difference. There is no comparison for a Moose pump no matter what you spend on pumps. I believe your seeing just that. Hp has a cost but when you talk about what it costs for an idi is so much more for your money compared to anything else out there. Sure, some of the chips are so easy to install in the chipped trucks but. your paying more for that truck. Then the cost of insuring it and license.. Well its costly. Now try to buy a set of injectors less than several thousand dollars. For me its idi till I die.. No matter how long away that is or how close it might be. I'm not cheap. I just like simplicity. I have gone to the ends of the idi world looking for the best money can buy. I found that in the BTS E4OD coupled to the new Gear Vendors and the Moose pump. Someday I will install a set of Moose Misters and see what that does.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess would be different gear ratios and likely overall engine health. The trans probably helps some too.

Nothing against Mel, but with an NA truck there's just not a whole heck of a lot that tweaking the injection pump will do - you're limited by the air flow.

My bet is it's a combination of several small improvements over your rig.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low stall converters make a world of difference, so my vote goes there.

A Moose Junior pump is specifically tailored for N/A trucks iirc. Being a fresh fuel system, plus the timing curve tweaks Mel does, can also be huge factors.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All the pumps Mel produces have genuine Stanadyne parts in them. He rebuilds to that spec. Not the cheap offshore crap that most if not all the other rebuilders use. Mel looked into those other parts and decided to run the best and charge what he does for the best on the market. The Moose junior is a stock pump with all the Stanadyne parts. I do not believe any fuel curves have been changed. Its the best stock pump and is as good as the new DB2 pumps if and when you can find one. I have only seen maybe 2 of them in many years. I really don't know if you could even order a new one either. If you could I'm betting its going to cost around $1500.00 or so. Maybe more or maybe less but it will be expensive. But why buy new. Get what Mels makes and be happy. I run what I run and feel its the best money can buy. Its a Moose pump from 2009 eara. I realize Mel changed the pump names too so I don't really know what mine is called today. I know it works. I run the Bb code Delphi injectors popping at 1850 lbs. Soon I will be increasing that to 2200 or 2300 lbs pop pressure just to see what it does. I have bought from the ebay sellers too and have not been impressed by them. I read whats in the Hall of Shame forum and will never buy from anyone that is listed in there. Remember those sellers got there by how they treated the customer. Nobody made them go there. they got listed ther by what they failed to do for a customer. Last I saw a business is only in business because of the customer. Continue cheating a customer base and you need new customers to stay in business. I guess a new customer is a sucker born every second to these less than stellar business people..

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you both have E4OD's then? What are your gear ratio's? Tire sizes? These things can make a huge difference when pulling a load.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the power made is no good if you cannot get it to move cause of poor trans....suggest build trans cause if you build power and wipe out trans...you go no where. If you build trans solid, you can add all the power you want!

JM2CW

Al

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both trucks have same rear end ratios- 4:11, both are N/A, both exceed 150kmiles. Almost everything is the same except the IP, and the transmission. I get plenty of rpms from the engine of my truck when towing. But my Dads truck seems to make the wheels turn faster at the same rpm. I've towed this same load from this sawmill so many times with my truck, and the same trailer too. I know what it feels like at any given point during the trip. His truck pulls it easier , and faster . I know it's a combination of factors, but I have to start at a single place due to $$. I think the largest difference I feel is the torque converter. I know the moose junior pump is larger than my stock pump. But we get the same rpms and yet different results on the hills.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Point is having to start somewhere, I'm betting it's the tranny. I'm aware the next thing to due is upgrade the IP too.

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any idea where your timing is at on either your rig or your dad's? If not, I'd start there - probably one of the cheaper things to try.

How does your economy compare?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger