towing another idi home need advice

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you got a set back axle trailer. i'm suprised the 'burb didn't squat with the load. you have a preload on the tongue weight. with the trailer and the ext cab you're hauling, you're OK in this combo to haul engine backwards since there will be little weight aft of the axles. your ext cab will have a rough gross of 6.8k. 4k will be front axle weight, the rest on the rear axle. if you load it backwards, the lighter side will be on the "bridge" between the axle and the tongue and the majority will be on the axles. if you secure the load with the pickup front axle right over the forward trailer axle, you "should" have a good balance there. if it doesn't feel right, some rearward or forward adjustment will make things right.
btw.....that's a nice trailer you have there.
i've been real lucky over the years, there's a truck scale around the corner from my shop that's open 24/7 and they don't care what you weigh after hours. as a result, it's been a good education for me on weights and balance and being able to estimate a load. When I was hauling for a friend of mime, I got hit with all the "O" loads......overlength/overheight/overweight and oddzised. the scarry part is the fact I was doing this at the behest of DOT, so no permits was needed. When you are operating in that capacity, you better know what your equipment can do and be smart about how you get things done.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, what your saying seem right on about the weight distribution. Guess it was hard to tell without pics. As long as I get the bed to compress a bit with the truck on backwards, that should be enough tongue weight, correct?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's a good way to do it. Watch the tow truck as you pull the vehicle up on the trailer. You want the tow truck's springs to settle quite a bit. You know your truck and how much it moves down with different weights. Just make sure it has plenty of weight on the truck before you take off. Most of the trucks have a progressive spring stock, so they will settle quite a bit before the thinner upper leaves hit the lower thick leaf spring. Don't worry if it's not level, it will pull fine as long as you have some weight on the truck/tongue.

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay...

Pull it on front first... balance it as necessary... strap/chain it down...

DONE!

Not seeing the need for two pages of this. Squat the tow vehicle a little bit... Use your head, you'll be fine

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay...

DONE!

Not seeing the need for two pages of this. Squat the tow vehicle a little bit... Use your head, you'll be fine
who appointed you as the thought police?

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay...

DONE!

I only see one page.........;Poke

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do tile work for a living. I use my trailer to haul pallets of material all the time. I always load it where my f-150 work truck squats about 2 inces on the rear wheels when possible. I have hauled small cars engine forward and old trucks engine rear to balance mine.

Plus I wanted to add another post to see if we could get to 3 pages.........

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hell....pre-facebook days, this place had tech and chatter mixed up in equal doses.
are we at page 3 yet? :D

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
sometimes you have no choice.....
You must be registered for see images

9300 lb 2008 f450 on a 10000 lb rated trailer. yes we were way overweight, and the tow rig(94 6.5) was squattin pretty good. but it towed nice!

best part is the f450 is my pops truck, waterpump went bad. the red dually is his old truck sold to a friend of mine. the 6.5 has 260000 on it, all hard towing miles like this.... lol
rescued by his old truck......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online