towing another idi home need advice

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Sometimes I think 6.5's don't get enough love.

I always think that. Lol

Just towed my brother's 04 caddy CTS the other day. Went engine first, it was fairly light for a 4 door car though.
Am I the only one that loads cars the old fashioned way? (Come along)

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the old fashioned way was to push it. lol.

Towed a suzuki samurai the other day for my brother. Threw it on an 18' 7k lb rated trailer. I could have loaded that thing forwards, backwards, sideways, upside down, whatever and had plenty of room to set the tongue weight right lol.

Brucekoukalaka

Reaction score
I thought the old fashioned way was to push it. lol.

Towed a suzuki samurai the other day for my brother. Threw it on an 18' 7k lb rated trailer. I could have loaded that thing forwards, backwards, sideways, upside down, whatever and had plenty of room to set the tongue weight right lol.
you mean you had to use a trailer? Why didn't you just throw it into the pickup box?

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that loads cars the old fashioned way? (Come along)

Every once in awhile i find myself having to use a come along. I generally try to avoid it though. Last time i was using one the cable cut through the pulley on the hook and everything bound up and i had the truck mid way up the ramps and some nice fraying going on where the cable went through the pulley.

Where's the fun in life without a pucker moment every now and then?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Haha I remember seeing that video. I watched it on Facebook, then someone posted it here.

My boss has an older electric winch I may buy.(if he'll sell) His dad bought it new, so it's probably a good 15 years old. Lol
But it'll make life faster. (I don't mind the workout of a come along, just takes too long)

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they took notes from these guys when it comes to loading a trailer.
http://youtu.be/anBwMhiYeTk

Done this a few times loading a skid loader. Scares you at first but if you just lay into it to get on the trailer and get the back wheels back on the ground you can usually do it without moving more than a few feet.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they took notes from these guys when it comes to loading a trailer.
http://youtu.be/anBwMhiYeTk

Done this a few times loading a skid loader. Scares you at first but if you just lay into it to get on the trailer and get the back wheels back on the ground you can usually do it without moving more than a few feet.

Remind me not to let you touch my things :p

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can always block up under the rear of the trailer to keep it from lifting the rear of the tow vehicle.

Have to do that with our skid loader at work. But to keep the trailer from breaking anymore.
It's a dovetailed 22'? Tandem axle car hauler.
Well one day backing off, the frame snapped.
It's actually not heavy enough.
I'll get a pic sometime. It's bowed like crazy. Lol could probably load a truck without ramps.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always carry some jack stands in my truck when hauling. Stick them under the rear of the trailer, no problems. Keeps the truck and trailer in good shape.